Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LCD display flaky

I've got a handheld meter with a LCD display (Sunpro Tachometer) and
some of the LCD segments are getting flaky. Assuming it's put together
with a zebra strip, would I be better off trying to take it apart and
clean it, or wait until it becomes intolerable first? In other words,
what are the chances of making it better rather than worse?

?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Harmon wrote:
I've got a handheld meter with a LCD display (Sunpro Tachometer) and
some of the LCD segments are getting flaky. Assuming it's put together
with a zebra strip, would I be better off trying to take it apart and
clean it, or wait until it becomes intolerable first? In other words,
what are the chances of making it better rather than worse?

?

You'll probably fix it if you wipe off the rubber strip.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mark" wrote in message ...
David Harmon wrote:
I've got a handheld meter with a LCD display (Sunpro Tachometer) and
some of the LCD segments are getting flaky. Assuming it's put together
with a zebra strip, would I be better off trying to take it apart and
clean it, or wait until it becomes intolerable first? In other words,
what are the chances of making it better rather than worse?

?

You'll probably fix it if you wipe off the rubber strip.

If it was me, I'd strip it down and clean the strips, pcb and LCD element.
Good, high test alcohol and a Q-tip. Vodka works ok if that is handier to
the work bench, but wait until it drys for a few minutes before
reassembling. (some water in Vodka).
Of course there is a danger here of ruining the LCD element itself
(been there, done that). But if you are half-way competent with hand tools,
it shouldn't be a big problem.

Old Chief Lynn

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Harmon wrote in message
I've got a handheld meter with a LCD display (Sunpro Tachometer) and
some of the LCD segments are getting flaky. Assuming it's put together
with a zebra strip, would I be better off trying to take it apart and
clean it, or wait until it becomes intolerable first? In other words,
what are the chances of making it better rather than worse?

?

I clean off the zebra and the LCD lands with methylated spirit and remount
with the zebra upside down. Unless the rubbery bits are perished/stuck to
the lands then unlikely to make matters worse.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

flaky fluorescent light goodfella Home Repair 7 May 7th 07 12:18 AM
flaky ceiling hannah d. UK diy 3 March 4th 07 11:51 PM
Flaky secuurity PIR light - replaced - still flaky Clive UK diy 1 May 29th 06 12:07 PM
DMM acting flaky ed Electronics Repair 3 February 15th 06 05:49 PM
TFT display pinout / use laptop display separately? [palme7] Andreas Ulmer Electronics Repair 2 August 23rd 05 09:39 AM