Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Yamaha HTR-5890 will not power on, need schematic.

This Yamaha HTR-5890 surround sound receiver had two shorted power
transistors and a blew the main 10 amp fuse. I replaced those but the
receiver still shuts down after a few seconds. The way the circuit boards
are laid out it's not very convenient to troubleshoot with the unit powered
up and it only stays powered up for a few seconds. I called Yamaha parts and
they e-mailed me the service manual but the middle pages with the schematic
are intentionally missing. For $18 I was told they would snail mail me the
paper copy. But I need to fix the receiver for the weekend so any help is
appreciated.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Farber wrote:
This Yamaha HTR-5890 surround sound receiver had two shorted power
transistors and a blew the main 10 amp fuse. I replaced those but the
receiver still shuts down after a few seconds. The way the circuit boards
are laid out it's not very convenient to troubleshoot with the unit powered
up and it only stays powered up for a few seconds. I called Yamaha parts and
they e-mailed me the service manual but the middle pages with the schematic
are intentionally missing. For $18 I was told they would snail mail me the
paper copy. But I need to fix the receiver for the weekend so any help is
appreciated.

Thanks for your reply.

**I can't assist with a schematic, but I have (attempted) to service
that model. It is a nightmare. And I had access to a full service
manual. Dump it. It is not worth the effort.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
joe joe is offline

"David Farber" wrote in message
[...]

I`ve got an HTR-5860 Service Manual if thats any good to you ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Did Yamaha tell you that the schematics were intentionally removed? They
have always provided full schematics with their manuals in the past? Have
you called them about it?

Leonard

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
et...
[...]

On most Yammy AV's, you can overide the cut out via 'secret' button pushes,
and then interrogate the system control micro via more button pushes, and it
will tell you why it thinks it's cutting out. Last however-many 'events' are
stored in memory, as I recall. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes not ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message
news
Did Yamaha tell you that the schematics were intentionally removed? They
have always provided full schematics with their manuals in the past? Have
you called them about it?

Leonard

Leonard,

I initially called the Yamaha parts department and asked them to identify an
IC. The customer service agent was very helpful so I asked in passing if he
had a pdf of the service manual that he could e-mail. He obliged right away
and I received it in a few minutes. When I opened the document, the table of
contents showed a complete manual but the document ended right before the
electrical schematic. I called back and asked him to send the rest but he
said the only other thing he had to send was the parts listing which was the
last few pages of the manual. We then deduced that the only way to get the
schematic was to pay for the paper version of the service manual. Perhaps
the omission of the schematic from the pdf was not intentional but I don't
see any other explanation.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center
L.A., CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for your help guys. Hopefully this won't turn into a big adventure.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center
L.A., CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David Farber" wrote in message
"David Farber" wrote in message
This Yamaha HTR-5890 surround sound receiver had two shorted power
transistors and a blew the main 10 amp fuse. I replaced those but the
receiver still shuts down after a few seconds.

Hi David,

There is a Russian website http://monitor.net.ru/forum/index.php which
contains many service manuals and schematics (Circuits) of Yamaha audio
equipment. The HTR 5890 is not listed but it might be worth looking at some
of the other schematics to see how Yamaha do things.
Since this site is all in Russian, you have to right click and select the
"Translate Page into English" option and wait for the page to translate.
(this is in Windows Internet Explorer)
To be honest, from our point of view the English produced is not good,
however you will be able to see where the "FILES" are, go there and select
"Audio", when you get there select "Yamaha" and then you can look through
the available data. You may have to register to actually download the file,
but its free so no problem. Schematics seem to be universal so don't worry
about getting some weird diagrams !
I hope this helps.

Ian.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 1, 2:30 pm, "Ian French" wrote:
[...]

As far as I know, this manual is not available.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"justmanuals" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

As far as I know, you are wrong. And I suspect my knowledge of the matter
goes a bit farther than yours. Oh, and I read the posts, which tell me that
the OP already go the manual, just incomplete, and someone else offered to
send it to him.

Leonard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Indeed. I already sent Dave the complete manual with schematics. Helps to be
an authorized servicer though... :-)

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

It was almost a big adventure. Pretty close though. I found a solder bridge
on the function board, removed it, and now the receiver works normally.

Thanks again for your replies.