Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, KP41EXR96

This set was a rag. I didn't even notice because they had it up on the
bench for me when I got there. Plug in POP, sounded like HV, but you
know how them Sony resistors gbo pop, so I headed for the SMPS. Of
course both choppers were shorted. I guess somebody tried too hard,
and right when Ii plugged it in, the other chopper couldn't take
anymore abuse.

Dug up a pair of 2SC4582s, the resistor and the usual D10SC6MR that
usuakky causes the problem. Actually this one had a D10SC4MR in it, of
course I put in a 6. At first the thing would not run, I wasn't
getting center voltage at the junction of the choppers, so I looked to
the top side first of course. Took some ohmmeter readings etc., and
got to the point where I said the new transistor was bad.

We didn't have any more 2SC4582s so I checked some spec sheets and
determined that a 2SD1887 should at least run in there. Not that we
can leave it in, but to prove or disprove. Well, as I was desoldering
the transistor the pad fell right off. (this board has been worked on
before). So fixing that got it to run.

So after two minutes of running the blue convergence goes off about
two feet horizontally. Marvelous. So the bossman says "Just throw them
both in (STK4278s) and be done with it, we'll eat it. And then I see
the power button is sc rewed up, the screen is a real rag, I mean bad.
I din't know why they let me go so far, but there was a slight
miracle.

Four or five years ago I sold then a KP41EXR96, and I mentioned that
and said "I don't think you would just throw out a screen", which was
almost pristeen, and incidentally still mounted in the bezel. This
included a good keyboard, buttons, and not only a screen in nice
shape, but a safety screen as well. (these people seem to need it)

So they say you can't turn a sow's ear imto a silk purse, I beg to
differ.

we offer high quality china silk carpets and silk tapestries [email protected] Metalworking 0 November 23rd 05 04:25 AM
tuned sow's ear Dan Cullimore Woodworking 2 December 1st 04 06:19 PM
Sony KP41EXR96 john Electronics Repair 0 October 22nd 03 01:35 PM
SONY KP41EXR96 PRO SET john Electronics Repair 4 September 26th 03 02:41 AM