Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Capacitor Wizard

Just when I told everyone that Cap Wizard was gone forever it rose
from the ashes again. Of course, I had never said that maybe it would
not have come back.

I have spoken with Doug Jones several times in the past two weeks and
he is getting the Cap Wiz back into production. We will have product
available next week.

Of course, AnaTek also has the Savr circuit for the Cap Wiz also.

John
The electronic repair center at www.anatekcorp.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How much will these be ? I may want a second .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 21, 12:31 pm, John Bachman
wrote:
Just when I told everyone that Cap Wizard was gone forever it rose
from the ashes again. Of course, I had never said that maybe it would
not have come back.

I have spoken with Doug Jones several times in the past two weeks and
he is getting the Cap Wiz back into production. We will have product
available next week.

Of course, AnaTek also has the Savr circuit for the Cap Wiz also.

John
The electronic repair center atwww.anatekcorp.com

$199 is mighty steep.

Especially when you can duplicate the functionality with a discarded
SMPS for a laptop, a 1 ohm resistor, and a voltmeter.

That said, I do find an ESR meter INDISPENSABLE.. You'll discover
that most electrolytics more than 20 years old have gone WAAY up in
ESR.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:28:48 -0600, (Ken G.) wrote:

How much will these be ? I may want a second .

$199.00.

Order from
www.anatekcorp.com/testequipment/capwizrd.htm.

I will have them in stock by the end of this week.

John
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ancient_Hacker wrote:

That said, I do find an ESR meter INDISPENSABLE.. You'll discover
that most electrolytics more than 20 years old have gone WAAY up in
ESR.

The first thing I did when I bought and built the DSE ESR Meter was
to go through every electrolytic capacitor I had in stock. About 25%
were either suspect, or bad, so they were pulled from the parts
cabinets. They were leftovers from servicing early japanese
electronics, garage door openers, and two way radios.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

$199 is mighty steep.

Especially when you can duplicate the functionality with a discarded
SMPS for a laptop, a 1 ohm resistor, and a voltmeter.

That said, I do find an ESR meter INDISPENSABLE.. You'll discover
that most electrolytics more than 20 years old have gone WAAY up in
ESR.

Perhaps a bit steep, but I bought mine a decade ago and it's way more than
paid for itself even as a hobby servicer. There's a kit ESR meter out there,
I think from Dick Smith which is a lot cheaper, never used it but I built
their LOPT tester and have been pleased.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2007-08-22 18:35:47 -0700, "James Sweet" said:

$199 is mighty steep.

Especially when you can duplicate the functionality with a discarded
SMPS for a laptop, a 1 ohm resistor, and a voltmeter.

That said, I do find an ESR meter INDISPENSABLE.. You'll discover
that most electrolytics more than 20 years old have gone WAAY up in
ESR.

Perhaps a bit steep, but I bought mine a decade ago and it's way more than
paid for itself even as a hobby servicer. There's a kit ESR meter out there,
I think from Dick Smith which is a lot cheaper, never used it but I built
their LOPT tester and have been pleased.

(caution self serving ad follows)

Yes the Bob Parker/Silicon Chip/Dick Smith K-7214 ESR kit is still
around. At least in my shop and www.mainelectronics.com (friends of
mine). Bought out the last 200 of them and I am selling them on my web
site or eBay.

http://flippers.com/esrktord-form.html

ebay - "esr meter kit"

We carry spare parts, ZPUs etc for the kits as well - please have your
original invoice number handy if you order the ZPU though as we only
sell these to proven customers of the kits (anyones valid invoice is
fine).

(tech tip follows)
As for input protection, I think a MOV (say 18 to 20VDC) in series with
a pair of back-to-back 3A diodes would keep these Bob Parker/Dick Smith
kits running for years and years and still let you be able to check
your batteries ESR to see if they are OK or getting ready to fail.

John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call