DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   no display on monitor (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/209141-no-display-monitor.html)

[email protected] August 2nd 07 10:54 PM

no display on monitor

Hi,
After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.

Ken Weitzel August 2nd 07 11:20 PM

no display on monitor

wrote:
Hi,
After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.

Hi...

During your install job you may have accidentally knocked the video
card slightly out of its socket.. ?

Or perhaps the vga cable from the back of the case?

Take care.

Ken

Ken August 3rd 07 01:41 AM

no display on monitor

wrote:
Hi,
After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.

Although most computers have a keyed connector for the IDE cables, it
is possible on some to reverse this cable. If that is what you did,
that would prevent the computer from booting.

Tim August 3rd 07 01:43 AM

no display on monitor

In article , says...
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 22:20:29 +0000, Ken Weitzel wrote:

wrote:
Hi,
After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.

Hi...

During your install job you may have accidentally knocked the video
card slightly out of its socket.. ?

Wouldn't even boot.

Or perhaps the vga cable from the back of the case?

More likely. Also check if present the plug into the monitor.

Actually, if the card was partially removed it would still boot, but
have no video, and no error beeps either. I used to get that a lot when
the cheap cases where around. The people would just pick up the case and
poof, the cards would partially dislodge, giving that symptom. This
especially true of PCI and older AGP cards.

Beemer August 3rd 07 09:33 AM

no display on monitor

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Hi,
| After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
| turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
| can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
| on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.

Find a friend with a laptop, select external display and connect your the
display to it. This will point the way to whether it is your display or
computer that has the problem.

Beemer

[email protected] August 3rd 07 05:29 PM

no display on monitor

On Aug 3, 4:33 am, "Beemer" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...
| Hi,
| After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
| turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
| can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
| on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.

Find a friend with a laptop, select external display and connect your the
display to it. This will point the way to whether it is your display or
computer that has the problem.

Beemer

It's definitely sth wrong in pc, not monitor because I connect to
another monitor and it's same thing. No display. I suspect sth wrong
with video card since I already unplugged both dvd burner and hard
drive boots no problem.

Beemer August 3rd 07 06:36 PM

no display on monitor

wrote in message
oups.com...
| On Aug 3, 4:33 am, "Beemer" wrote:
| wrote in message
|
| oups.com...
| | Hi,
| | After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
| | turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
| | can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
| | on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.
| |
| |
| Find a friend with a laptop, select external display and connect your
the
| display to it. This will point the way to whether it is your display
or
| computer that has the problem.
|
| Beemer
|
| It's definitely sth wrong in pc, not monitor because I connect to
| another monitor and it's same thing. No display. I suspect sth wrong
| with video card since I already unplugged both dvd burner and hard
| drive boots no problem.

You need to post details of your video card and its software driver version,
e.g. is it an ATI

Also if you change the driver to VGA only does the display then work?

Beemer

Ken Weitzel August 3rd 07 08:15 PM

no display on monitor

Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 17:36:43 +0000, Beemer wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
| On Aug 3, 4:33 am, "Beemer" wrote:
| wrote in message
|
| oups.com...
| | Hi,
| | After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
| | turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
| | can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
| | on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.
| |
| |
| Find a friend with a laptop, select external display and connect your
the
| display to it. This will point the way to whether it is your display
or
| computer that has the problem.
|
| Beemer
|
| It's definitely sth wrong in pc, not monitor because I connect to
| another monitor and it's same thing. No display. I suspect sth wrong
| with video card since I already unplugged both dvd burner and hard
| drive boots no problem.

You need to post details of your video card and its software driver version,
e.g. is it an ATI

Also if you change the driver to VGA only does the display then work?

How can the OP change the driver if he can't see anything?

Hi...

If in fact it really is starting windows but he just can't see it, then
he can let it start - but power off before windows finishes getting
started. That way he might be able (after a gazillion tries) to boot
into safe mode (which is vga)

Take care.

Ken

Phil Munro August 3rd 07 09:05 PM

no display on monitor

Here is a thought about this. If you have a video card AND have a
socket for video from the PC itself (not the card), perhaps you have
plugged the video cable into the wrong place. As I remember it from
recently having a similar problem, the bios allows you to set video
access from the pc itself OR from a separate card.
Look for another video cable socket on the back of your PC and just
try changing it to that one. --Phil

wrote:

Hi,
After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555