Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need help with Denon AV receiver

Hi...

I am having a problem with a Denon AVR-3300 receiver not switching audio
between sources. If I am on FM for example and switch to a DVD or any other
source, sound goes away. Sound stays dead if I switch back to FM.

I've found if I wiggle one of the circuit boards, the sound comes back. So I
wish to remove that board and examine it. The pdf service manual for a
similar Denon receiver I downloaded shows almost the identical arrangement
of those boards, but does not explain how to remove them.

They are connected to a main board with a type of connector I've not
encountered before, and they are very tight. Obviously I don't want to start
forcing anything. So I though someone on this group would be able to assist
me.

I have posted a close-up of a couple of these connectors.......

http://pages.suddenlink.net/ken/connectors.jpg

The main board is at the bottom of the picture.

PS: If anyone knows were I might pick up a service manual for this model,
please advise.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken123 wrote:
[...]

Typically one must at least partially remove the rear panel and carefully
unplug the board(s) by pulling them upward. There may be one or more small
tabs at the plugs to release the boards, but I don't really remember this
being the case.

Sometimes it helps to resolder the DSP chips to fix problems like this. All
it may take is a single bad solder connection on a Chip Enable, Clock, Data,
etc line to any one of those IC's to prevent sound, or for the sound not to
come back after changing sources, etc.

You can e-mail me for the manual. Reverse the domain name, so that
"labolgcbs" becomes "sbcglobal".

You'll need WinRar to re-assemble the manual; it will come in 4 meg chunks,
about 33 meg total.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You can e-mail me for the manual. Reverse the domain name, so that
"labolgcbs" becomes "sbcglobal".

You'll need WinRar to re-assemble the manual; it will come in 4 meg
chunks, about 33 meg total.

Mark Z.

Thanks for the help, Mark!

I sent you an email this a.m. I'm looking forward to that manual.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken123" wrote in message
[...]

I finally stumbled across an answer to this at
http://forum.eserviceinfo.com/viewtopic.php?t=22560:

"Ok. they are strictly male/female snapped together. First make sure to
remove any screws that are holding the board to the back panel thru any
connector & by grabbing the edge of the board and gently pulling up while
holding the bottom board, it will disengage from its base. Trick is to make
sure all the in/out connectors are free from the back panel so it can be
pulled straight up without interference .....make sure the pins are not bent
when going back to reinstall it. Depending on the board & it's position,,
may almost have to remove the back panel. At first it may feel somewhat
awkward, but it will disengage. You may use a contact lubricant spray such
as "cramoline" to make removing a lot easier."

That was for a different brand of receiver, but the posted pictures were
just like mine.

I took his advice with the contact lubricant, and managed to get that board
removed. During careful examination I discovered one loose solder
connection, at the corner of a small heatsink, which probably was supposed
to connect two ground points together

I re-soldered it, replaced the board, plugged the receiver in and turned it
on. It worked, and I started breathing again.

Thanks to all in this newsgroup for helping with this and other technical
issues in the past.