DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fan Wattage (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/202679-fan-wattage.html)

Buck Turgidson June 3rd 07 03:04 PM

Fan Wattage

Does anyone have a guess as to what kind of power a fan like this draws, on
low speed?

Buck Turgidson June 3rd 07 03:06 PM

Fan Wattage

Oops, forgot the URL.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HT80.../dp/B0000BYDUC

mc June 3rd 07 03:16 PM

Fan Wattage

The product manual is on Amazon and says 120 volts, 0.52 amp (i.e., about 63
watts).

Presumably, that is for high speed. As a rough guess, the lowest speed
might be 1/4 of that.

Buck Turgidson June 3rd 07 03:44 PM

Fan Wattage

I am very ignorant about electricity. Volts x Amps = Watts? Very good to
know.

Eeyore June 3rd 07 03:56 PM

Fan Wattage

Buck Turgidson wrote:

Does anyone have a guess as to what kind of power a fan like this draws, on
low speed?

What bloody fan ?

The one up your ass ?

Graham

Eeyore June 3rd 07 03:57 PM

Fan Wattage

mc wrote:

The product manual is on Amazon and says 120 volts, 0.52 amp (i.e., about 63
watts).

That's 63 VA

NOT WATTS !

Jeez, talk about beginner's mistakes.

Graham

Eeyore June 3rd 07 03:58 PM

Fan Wattage

Buck Turgidson wrote:

I am very ignorant about electricity. Volts x Amps = Watts? Very good to
know.

Except it's wrong for AC

V x A = VA

Graham

Buck Turgidson June 3rd 07 04:35 PM

Fan Wattage

Were you breast-fed as a child?

Michael A. Terrell June 3rd 07 05:31 PM

Fan Wattage

Buck Turgidson wrote:

Were you breast-fed as a child?

Yes, by his dad. Isn't it obvious? He bounces around all the
electronics newsgroups while doing his best to **** everyone off, and he
hates America with both neurons.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

mc June 3rd 07 07:40 PM

Fan Wattage

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I am very ignorant about electricity. Volts x Amps = Watts? Very good to
know.

For AC this is only true if the volts and amps are in phase; otherwise the
watts can be somewhat less than the volt-amps.

mc June 3rd 07 07:41 PM

Fan Wattage

"Eeyore" wrote in message

mc wrote:

The product manual is on Amazon and says 120 volts, 0.52 amp (i.e., about
63
watts).

That's 63 VA

NOT WATTS !

Jeez, talk about beginner's mistakes.

Not a mistake, a simplifying assumption. We don't know the phase
relationship between the voltage and the current. The power is 63 W or
less, we don't know how much less. Nor do we know why he wants to know the
power, or whether he's actually concerned about power limits or current
limits.

UCLAN June 3rd 07 08:10 PM

Fan Wattage

Buck Turgidson wrote:

Oops, forgot the URL.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HT80.../dp/B0000BYDUC

Well, the review at that site calls it a 0.52 amp fan. At 115vac, that's
59.8 watts. I assume that is on maximum speed.

--
GO LUNA ROSSA! Beat the Kiwis.

James Sweet June 3rd 07 09:30 PM

Fan Wattage

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I am very ignorant about electricity. Volts x Amps = Watts? Very good to
know.

At a unity power factor yes, but as the power factor drops (reactive loads
like motors and such) the wattage will be lower than volts x amps would give
you.

CJT June 3rd 07 10:33 PM

Fan Wattage

Buck Turgidson wrote:

Does anyone have a guess as to what kind of power a fan like this draws, on
low speed?

I'd plug in the one I've got here and check, except it's in the "junk
box," having died long ago -- in fact, not that long after I bought it,
as I recall.

Jamie June 4th 07 04:09 AM

Fan Wattage

Buck Turgidson wrote:

Oops, forgot the URL.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HT80.../dp/B0000BYDUC

well, if you read the PDF file, .52 amps.
120 Volts.
I guessing 60 watts average/

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5