Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Question about cordless phone battery

I have a Northwestern Bell 36007 cordless phone. The battery conks out
much sooner than it used to, so I assume it's time to purchase a
replacement battery. The problem is the three stores I have been to so
far apparently don't recognize this model (at least in the compatibility
directories)!

For what it's worth, it uses an NICD 3.6 V rechargeable battery, 450
mAh. As far as type/size/plug, I have found similar batteries in these
stores, but none with the same milliAmperehour value (450).

Does this matter? Isn't this value merely how long the battery will keep
a charge? Is it safe to go with a 3.6 NICD battery that is 1,000 mAh?

TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Daave wrote:
I have a Northwestern Bell 36007 cordless phone. The battery conks out
much sooner than it used to, so I assume it's time to purchase a
replacement battery. The problem is the three stores I have been to so
far apparently don't recognize this model (at least in the compatibility
directories)!

For what it's worth, it uses an NICD 3.6 V rechargeable battery, 450
mAh. As far as type/size/plug, I have found similar batteries in these
stores, but none with the same milliAmperehour value (450).

Does this matter? Isn't this value merely how long the battery will keep
a charge? Is it safe to go with a 3.6 NICD battery that is 1,000 mAh?

TIA.

Sure, it may take a bit longer to reach a full charge, but you'll get
better life than you ever got when the phone was new. The slower charge
will be easier on the battery as well. You can splice on the old plug if
you can't find one that matches too.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Daave wrote:

I have a Northwestern Bell 36007 cordless phone. The battery conks out
much sooner than it used to, so I assume it's time to purchase a
replacement battery. The problem is the three stores I have been to so
far apparently don't recognize this model (at least in the compatibility
directories)!

For what it's worth, it uses an NICD 3.6 V rechargeable battery, 450
mAh. As far as type/size/plug, I have found similar batteries in these
stores, but none with the same milliAmperehour value (450).

Does this matter? Isn't this value merely how long the battery will keep
a charge? Is it safe to go with a 3.6 NICD battery that is 1,000 mAh?

Your battery is available directly through Northwestern Bell. Go to:

http://store.unical-estore.com/battery.html Just $5!

[And no, using a slightly higher mAh NiCD shouldn't cause problems as
long as the voltage is the same, unless the internal charger objects
for some reason.]
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"Daave" wrote in message
.. .

For what it's worth, it uses an NICD 3.6 V rechargeable battery, 450
mAh. As far as type/size/plug, I have found similar batteries in these
stores, but none with the same milliAmperehour value (450).

Try the Shack. They may be able to special order it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"UCLAN" wrote in message
Daave wrote:

[...]

On most cordless phones, the internal 'charger' on NiCd powered handsets,
only comprises a series resistor that limits the charge current to a trickle
anyway, and when I used to repair a lot of them before they became full of
uP's all whispering to one another, I regularly used to 'upgrade' the
battery capacity for customers, so I agree with the rest - just go for it.

Arfa

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 18, 3:33 am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"UCLAN" wrote in message

Daave wrote:

[...]

Also, clean the contacts on base and handset (contact cleaner of
course!)

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

The only issue you may encounter is with the handsets battery monitor
(if in fact you have one). I've done the same with my Siemens
cordless phone and find it reports that it's always half full. On the
flipside, it can now last approximately a week or 2 without charging,
instead of a day as before.

On Apr 18, 12:58 am, "Daave"
wrote:
I have a Northwestern Bell 36007 cordless phone. The battery conks out
much sooner than it used to, so I assume it's time to purchase a
replacement battery. The problem is the three stores I have been to so
far apparently don't recognize this model (at least in the compatibility
directories)!

For what it's worth, it uses an NICD 3.6 V rechargeable battery, 450
mAh. As far as type/size/plug, I have found similar batteries in these
stores, but none with the same milliAmperehour value (450).

Does this matter? Isn't this value merely how long the battery will keep
a charge? Is it safe to go with a 3.6 NICD battery that is 1,000 mAh?

TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"Daave" wrote in message
.. .
I have a Northwestern Bell 36007 cordless phone. The battery conks out
much sooner than it used to, so I assume it's time to purchase a
replacement battery. The problem is the three stores I have been to so
far apparently don't recognize this model (at least in the compatibility
directories)!

For what it's worth, it uses an NICD 3.6 V rechargeable battery, 450
mAh. As far as type/size/plug, I have found similar batteries in these
stores, but none with the same milliAmperehour value (450).

Does this matter? Isn't this value merely how long the battery will keep
a charge? Is it safe to go with a 3.6 NICD battery that is 1,000 mAh?

TIA.

the more mAh the battery, the longer it will last,
get the bigger battery and be happy!
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"UCLAN" wrote in message
Daave wrote:

I have a Northwestern Bell 36007 cordless phone. The battery conks out
much sooner than it used to, so I assume it's time to purchase a
replacement battery. The problem is the three stores I have been to so
far apparently don't recognize this model (at least in the compatibility
directories)!

For what it's worth, it uses an NICD 3.6 V rechargeable battery, 450
mAh. As far as type/size/plug, I have found similar batteries in these
stores, but none with the same milliAmperehour value (450).

Does this matter? Isn't this value merely how long the battery will keep
a charge? Is it safe to go with a 3.6 NICD battery that is 1,000 mAh?

Your battery is available directly through Northwestern Bell. Go to:

http://store.unical-estore.com/battery.html Just $5!

Plus $6.85 shipping!! I can buy this same battery at Walgreen's Drug Store
for $9.99. Although, I can buy a brand new phone WITH a battery for $15!!

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Zephyr wrote:
"Daave" wrote in message
.. .
I have a Northwestern Bell 36007 cordless phone. The battery conks out
much sooner than it used to, so I assume it's time to purchase a
replacement battery. The problem is the three stores I have been to so
far apparently don't recognize this model (at least in the compatibility
directories)!

For what it's worth, it uses an NICD 3.6 V rechargeable battery, 450
mAh. As far as type/size/plug, I have found similar batteries in these
stores, but none with the same milliAmperehour value (450).

Does this matter? Isn't this value merely how long the battery will keep
a charge? Is it safe to go with a 3.6 NICD battery that is 1,000 mAh?

TIA.

the more mAh the battery, the longer it will last,
get the bigger battery and be happy!
Dave

A caveat with the 1AH battery - will if fit? It's likely be physically
larger than the 450mAh unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Daave wrote:

For what it's worth, it uses an NICD 3.6 V rechargeable battery, 450
mAh. As far as type/size/plug, I have found similar batteries in these
stores, but none with the same milliAmperehour value (450).

Does this matter? Isn't this value merely how long the battery will keep
a charge? Is it safe to go with a 3.6 NICD battery that is 1,000 mAh?

It is probably just the same battery, but with upgraded marketing.
The mAh claims on battery are somewhat dubious.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

It is probably just the same battery, but with upgraded marketing.
The mAh claims on battery are somewhat dubious.

With digi-cam AA batteries, I find that the mA labels are pretty true. There
are always web site blogs and camera-buff magazines doing battery-life
comparisons and reporting which brand is giving more flashes than another.
This, I think, helps keep the manufacturers' claims "honest".
--
Al, the usual

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Also, clean the contacts on base and handset (contact cleaner of
course!)

Nah, a #2 type pencil eraser does the job, fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Brian O wrote:

Your battery is available directly through Northwestern Bell. Go to:

http://store.unical-estore.com/battery.html Just $5!

Plus $6.85 shipping!! I can buy this same battery at Walgreen's Drug Store
for $9.99.

Plus tax, plus wear-and-tear on your car, plus your time, plus the
cost to repair the parking lot incurred door-ding caused by little
Jimmy getting out of his parent's Lexus.

$11.85 delivered to your door seems like a bargain in comparison.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

UCLAN wrote:
Brian O wrote:

Your battery is available directly through Northwestern Bell. Go to:

http://store.unical-estore.com/battery.html Just $5!

Plus $6.85 shipping!! I can buy this same battery at Walgreen's Drug
Store
for $9.99.

Plus tax, plus wear-and-tear on your car, plus your time, plus the
cost to repair the parking lot incurred door-ding caused by little
Jimmy getting out of his parent's Lexus.

$11.85 delivered to your door seems like a bargain in comparison.

Not if you're already going to the store or need other items from the
same place, which most people do on a regular basis.

Personally I'd rather get off my ass, get out and have a little human
interaction once in a while than pay more for postage than the item
costs. If a substantial savings of time or money can be realized by
ordering online I will and often do, but for something like a battery
it's easier to just go to the store.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Usual Suspect wrote:
It is probably just the same battery, but with upgraded marketing.
The mAh claims on battery are somewhat dubious.

With digi-cam AA batteries, I find that the mA labels are pretty
true. There are always web site blogs and camera-buff magazines doing
battery-life comparisons and reporting which brand is giving more
flashes than another. This, I think, helps keep the manufacturers'
claims "honest".

Thanks to all for the feedback. I think I'll go with this one:

http://www.batterybob.com/product.asp?intProdID=173489

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

http://store.unical-estore.com/battery.html Just $5!

Plus $6.85 shipping!! I can buy this same battery at Walgreen's
Drug Store for $9.99.

Plus tax, plus wear-and-tear on your car, plus your time, plus the
cost to repair the parking lot incurred door-ding caused by little
Jimmy getting out of his parent's Lexus.

$11.85 delivered to your door seems like a bargain in comparison.

Not if you're already going to the store or need other items from the
same place, which most people do on a regular basis.

Personally I'd rather get off my ass, get out and have a little human
interaction once in a while than pay more for postage than the item
costs. If a substantial savings of time or money can be realized by
ordering online I will and often do, but for something like a
battery it's easier to just go to the store.

You somewhat contradict yourself here. At first you state that you'd
go to the store when you need other items, too. But you end by saying
that just for a battery, it's easier to go to the store. That makes
it sound as if you decided you needed the battery, and jumped in the
car to go get it.

If it's something I need *now*, I'll pay for the gas, pay for the car
wear, pay the 8% sales tax, and get the item *now*. If it's something
I don't need immediately, I'll let UPS deal with the traffic (I live
in Southern California.) My time is more important to me.

As for "human interaction", I can think of countless better ways than
grabbing a battery at Walgreens.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 18, 4:44 pm, UCLAN wrote:
wrote:
Also, clean the contacts on base and handset (contact cleaner of
course!)

Nah, a #2 type pencil eraser does the job, fine.

Yah,an eraser will also remove plating (used on many) and won't afford
any corrosion protection.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

NRen2k5 wrote:

Your battery is available directly through Northwestern Bell. Go to:

http://store.unical-estore.com/battery.html Just $5!

Plus $6.85 shipping!! I can buy this same battery at Walgreen's Drug
Store
for $9.99.

Plus tax, plus wear-and-tear on your car, plus your time, plus the
cost to repair the parking lot incurred door-ding caused by little
Jimmy getting out of his parent's Lexus.

$11.85 delivered to your door seems like a bargain in comparison.

Ah, a pessimist. :|

No, a realist. All except the door-ding is certain. And even the
door-ding has a high probability of occurrence.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 19, 4:48 pm, UCLAN wrote:
wrote:
Also, clean the contacts on base and handset (contact cleaner of
course!)

Nah, a #2 type pencil eraser does the job, fine.

Yah,an eraser will also remove plating (used on many) and won't afford
any corrosion protection.

Plating? On the charging contacts? Never had that problem on any
of the phones I have had. *What* plated over *what* ??

Chrome over brass or steel.
I am putting this out-there...it's not for your benefit...but maybe
others.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:48:16 -0700, UCLAN wrote:

wrote:

Also, clean the contacts on base and handset (contact cleaner of
course!)

Nah, a #2 type pencil eraser does the job, fine.

Yah,an eraser will also remove plating (used on many) and won't afford
any corrosion protection.

Plating? On the charging contacts? Never had that problem on any
of the phones I have had. *What* plated over *what* ??

I don't know the details here, but there is lots of plating out there,
even on very cheap stuff. I noticed when some batteries leaked.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

mm wrote:

Also, clean the contacts on base and handset (contact cleaner of
course!)

Nah, a #2 type pencil eraser does the job, fine.

Yah,an eraser will also remove plating (used on many) and won't afford
any corrosion protection.

Plating? On the charging contacts? Never had that problem on any
of the phones I have had. *What* plated over *what* ??

I don't know the details here, but there is lots of plating out there,
even on very cheap stuff. I noticed when some batteries leaked.

We're talking about the contacts on the *outside* of the phone and on
the charging base, not the internal battery contacts. And don't most
cordless phones use plugs and pins instead of the ordinary battery
contacts?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 22:32:22 -0700, UCLAN wrote:

mm wrote:

Also, clean the contacts on base and handset (contact cleaner of
course!)

Nah, a #2 type pencil eraser does the job, fine.

Yah,an eraser will also remove plating (used on many) and won't afford
any corrosion protection.

Plating? On the charging contacts? Never had that problem on any
of the phones I have had. *What* plated over *what* ??

I don't know the details here, but there is lots of plating out there,
even on very cheap stuff. I noticed when some batteries leaked.

We're talking about the contacts on the *outside* of the phone and on
the charging base, not the internal battery contacts.

I wasn't talking about the battery contacts either, but what the
leaking battery leaked on. And I'm saying there is lots of plated
things. I'm sure it's not limited to in the phone or out of the phone.

And don't most
cordless phones use plugs and pins instead of the ordinary battery
contacts?

I only addressed the topic of plating. But there defintiely are
cordless phones batteries that use contacts and not plugs or pins.

What is the point of quibbling about "most" or not when the OP only
has one phone and we don't know what kind he has.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

mm wrote:

What is the point of quibbling about "most" or not when the OP only
has one phone and we don't know what kind he has.

Sure we do. It's a Northwestern Bell 36007. He stated so in his
original post. It uses a 3.6 volt NiCD cell and a plug/pin
connection.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 22:52:33 -0700, UCLAN wrote:

mm wrote:

What is the point of quibbling about "most" or not when the OP only
has one phone and we don't know what kind he has.

Sure we do. It's a Northwestern Bell 36007. He stated so in his
original post. It uses a 3.6 volt NiCD cell and a plug/pin
connection.

Oh. I forgot about that because I don't keep track of such phones, or
look them up.