DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tone controls (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/196480-tone-controls.html)

[email protected] March 29th 07 05:52 AM

Tone controls

In another thread which google ½ FUBARed, tone controls were
mentioned.

Pots are the best way to control audio.

Now I never built this circuit but let me splain it. I want opinions,
and number one is audio quality. cost does not matter.

I wanted a bass control with extreme range and a continuously variable
turnover. Rather than playing around with the geometry of the
components I simply amplified the signal about 20dB, and resistively
divided it back down, and sent it throught a low output impedance
buffer. Put the R/C network at the slider and a rheostat determined
the crossover frequency. At the time I figured getting tightly matched
stereo pots was hard enough, I didn't need to complicate it.

The specs boiled down (it took a while to do the math) to +-18dB from
0Hz to a variable crossover of 44 to 484 Hz.

I know idiots blow speakers if you give them a control like that, but
I would still like to build one just for the hell of it.

Can you still buy pots ? I'll take just about any resistance and build
around it at this point.

Actually my system is so flat from about 30-16,000 or so, I only want
those extreme ends boosted, nothing else. Even a 12 band EQ will not
do that.

Can potentiometers still be had ? especially the audio taper ones ?

The design is like a mixing filter and should suffer alot less phase
problems.

But can I get the pots ?

JURB

Homer J Simpson March 29th 07 06:19 AM

Tone controls

wrote in message
ps.com...

I wanted a bass control with extreme range and a continuously variable

turnover.

Have you seen "This is Spinal Tap"?

Kalman Rubinson March 29th 07 02:03 PM

Tone controls

On 28 Mar 2007 21:52:05 -0700, wrote:

[...]

A good parametric will. Yes, you can still buy pots.

Kal

Dave March 29th 07 10:21 PM

Tone controls

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...

I wanted a bass control with extreme range and a continuously variable

turnover.

Have you seen "This is Spinal Tap"?

"But you see, these dials go to ELEVEN!"

Ross Herbert March 30th 07 02:42 AM

Tone controls

[...]

A Paraphase Tone Control may be the answer. There are numerous
schematics around the web but one rather interesting project by Ton
Giesberts in Elektor July/August 2006 looks promising. The article is
available at a charge for direct download from the Elektor website and
may save you a few headaches due to a pcb pattern being available.
http://www.elektor-electronics.co.uk...rt=53078&PN=On

isw March 30th 07 04:24 AM

Tone controls

In article om,

[...]