Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Default Calibration Of Electronic Equipment In The Home Workshop

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 06:25:48 GMT, Robert Baer
Gave us:

I gave up responding to him a while back as being a useless waste of
time.

Ahh... so you're a double posting dope too!

This dope is still running windows 98!
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 02:45:32 -0600, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

Anthony Fremont wrote:

50nA you idiot. DO THE MATH!

BTW, I'm surprised you didn't have anything to say about my Extech/Micronta
Shootout thread? I did some resistance measurements and the Micronta is
right on with way less than 1% difference. Drifted to another plane, ha ha
ha 15 years old and still within 1% on most functions. HA HA HA HA Wrong
again DM.

How would you know without a reliable device to check it against,
dip****?

I'll clue you... the extech ain't it.

Bwuahahahahahaahah!
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Anthony Fremont wrote:

50nA you idiot. DO THE MATH!

BTW, I'm surprised you didn't have anything to say about my
Extech/Micronta Shootout thread? I did some resistance measurements
and the Micronta is right on with way less than 1% difference.
Drifted to another plane, ha ha ha 15 years old and still within
1% on most functions. HA HA HA HA Wrong again DM.

How would you know without a reliable device to check it against,
dip****?

I'll clue you... the extech ain't it.

Bwuahahahahahaahah!

Oh really? And just how do you figure that? It's brand new and it was
available with an NIST certificate (though I didn't opt for it). I guess I
need to send it to you so you can verify it against your Protek?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Dear friend :
It is my fortunate writing to you . you will discover this is a wealth
accumulation place.
The website of our company is http://www.china-powerseller.com
We are a big agent for Laptop
Mobile Phone\Digital Camera\CDJ\DJM\Apple Ipod\PSP\VEDEO GAMES
\Television\GPS\Telescope in CHINA .
All of our commodities is the most advanced quality but lowest price.
we also have the

safest and most
convenient transaction way to guarante the transaction arries on
normally .
looking forward to your coorporation and cause all of us both to
profit.
you can contact us by Email:china.seller#hotmail.com
MSN: china.seller#hotmail.com
best wishes!
your sincerely

http://www.china-powerseller.com
MSN/Email:

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 07:06:35 -0600, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

Anthony Fremont wrote:

50nA you idiot. DO THE MATH!

BTW, I'm surprised you didn't have anything to say about my
Extech/Micronta Shootout thread? I did some resistance measurements
and the Micronta is right on with way less than 1% difference.
Drifted to another plane, ha ha ha 15 years old and still within
1% on most functions. HA HA HA HA Wrong again DM.

How would you know without a reliable device to check it against,
dip****?

I'll clue you... the extech ain't it.

Bwuahahahahahaahah!

Oh really? And just how do you figure that? It's brand new and it was
available with an NIST certificate (though I didn't opt for it). I guess I
need to send it to you so you can verify it against your Protek?

I told you, dumbass, I have a calibrated HP 3478A.

The protek is ANOTHER meter I have, and I use the HP to verify it.

Your NON NIST traceable and certified Extech is calibrated by an
assembler that was working enough years to end up in the production
test lab.

Their prime pass yields are likely far less than 90%, and 96% is
considered poor. Yes, you'll have to look that one up.

I'll say it again...

Bwuahahahahahahaha!

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Anthony Fremont wrote:

[...]

At least you didn't touch it.

Their prime pass yields are likely far less than 90%, and 96% is
considered poor. Yes, you'll have to look that one up.

I'll say it again...

Bwuahahahahahahaha!

Funny how it can be sent in and certified after the sale. I wonder how they
know who to send the good ones to. These meters you have at home, what do
you use them for? I mean I never see a schematic from you or hear of you
tinkering with some kind of experiment. Why is that?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 20:27:58 -0600, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

Funny how it can be sent in and certified after the sale.

Anything can, you ****in' retard.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Anthony Fremont wrote:

50nA you idiot. DO THE MATH!

BTW, I'm surprised you didn't have anything to say about my
Extech/Micronta Shootout thread? I did some resistance measurements
and the Micronta is right on with way less than 1% difference.
Drifted to another plane, ha ha ha 15 years old and still within
1% on most functions. HA HA HA HA Wrong again DM.

How would you know without a reliable device to check it against,
dip****?

I'll clue you... the extech ain't it.

Bwuahahahahahaahah!

Oh really? And just how do you figure that? It's brand new and it was
available with an NIST certificate (though I didn't opt for it). I guess I
need to send it to you so you can verify it against your Protek?

I told you, dumbass, I have a calibrated HP 3478A.

The protek is ANOTHER meter I have, and I use the HP to verify it.

You don't even know when you are being made fun of!

Your NON NIST traceable and certified Extech is calibrated by an
assembler that was working enough years to end up in the production
test lab.

At this price and accuracy level it is almost certain that every unit
would be automatically factory tested to be in-spec, so the NIST cert
is worth the paper it's written on. You can bet the farm that
Anthony's new meter meets the published specs.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

On 8 Mar 2007 01:02:52 -0800, "David L. Jones"
Gave us:

At this price and accuracy level it is almost certain that every unit
would be automatically factory tested to be in-spec, so the NIST cert
is worth the paper it's written on. You can bet the farm that
Anthony's new meter meets the published specs.

Idiot! His meter is NOT certified. Learn to read.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

MassiveProng wrote:
On 8 Mar 2007 01:02:52 -0800, "David L. Jones"
Gave us:

At this price and accuracy level it is almost certain that every unit
would be automatically factory tested to be in-spec, so the NIST cert
is worth the paper it's written on. You can bet the farm that
Anthony's new meter meets the published specs.

Idiot! His meter is NOT certified. Learn to read.

It comes with specs, they always apply. Wasn't it you that said that certs
were often just a check not necessarily turning screws? If the meter said
Agilent or Fluke on it, would you even be mentioning this? How come you
didn't say anything about the RMS convertor behaving the way I described? I
thought you were knowledgeable on this stuff.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

"Anthony Fremont" wrote in
:

MassiveProng wrote:
On 8 Mar 2007 01:02:52 -0800, "David L. Jones"
Gave us:

At this price and accuracy level it is almost certain that every
unit would be automatically factory tested to be in-spec, so the
NIST cert is worth the paper it's written on. You can bet the farm
that Anthony's new meter meets the published specs.

Idiot! His meter is NOT certified. Learn to read.

It comes with specs, they always apply. Wasn't it you that said that
certs were often just a check not necessarily turning screws? If the
meter said Agilent or Fluke on it, would you even be mentioning this?
How come you didn't say anything about the RMS convertor behaving the
way I described? I thought you were knowledgeable on this stuff.

Cal Certificates just state the instrument was calibrated using known
standards traceable to NIST,the date the work was done,temp and humidity
conditions,and the recommended cal interval.They may list the standards
used and their expiration dates.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Finding the keyboard operational
MassiveProng entered:

On 8 Mar 2007 01:02:52 -0800, "David L. Jones"
Gave us:

At this price and accuracy level it is almost certain that every unit
would be automatically factory tested to be in-spec, so the NIST cert
is worth the paper it's written on. You can bet the farm that
Anthony's new meter meets the published specs.

Idiot! His meter is NOT certified. Learn to read.

Youu do realize that calibrated and certified are not the same thing, don't
you? You could have your HP 3478A certified to +/- 10% VDC.
Bob
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Jim Yanik wrote:
After reading all this,I checked the $3 DMM I bought at a Harbor Freight
sidewalk sale,and it turns out the *input Z is only ONE megohm*. YUK!

My first meter cost five times that, was analog, and only had 20K ohms
per volt.

For those young folk who aren't familiar with that, yes, the meter input
impedance changed depending on the range you set the meter to.

--
Martians drive SUVs! http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

clifto wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:
After reading all this,I checked the $3 DMM I bought at a Harbor
Freight sidewalk sale,and it turns out the *input Z is only ONE
megohm*. YUK!

My first meter cost five times that, was analog, and only had 20K ohms
per volt.

For those young folk who aren't familiar with that, yes, the meter
input impedance changed depending on the range you set the meter to.

My first meter (a cheapie my dad's friend gave me when I was about 10) was
in that range (could it have been 10k?). The better meters I had in my
younger days were a whopping 50k ohms/volt.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

clifto wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:

After reading all this,I checked the $3 DMM I bought at a Harbor Freight
sidewalk sale,and it turns out the *input Z is only ONE megohm*. YUK!

My first meter cost five times that, was analog, and only had 20K ohms
per volt.

For those young folk who aren't familiar with that, yes, the meter input
impedance changed depending on the range you set the meter to.

Check; the neatthing is that on higher voltage scales, the input
resistance exceeds that of a DMM.
Which is why i built a voltmeter/currentmeter around a 5 microamp
movement giving 200K per volt sensitivity.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Anthony Fremont wrote:

clifto wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

After reading all this,I checked the $3 DMM I bought at a Harbor
Freight sidewalk sale,and it turns out the *input Z is only ONE
megohm*. YUK!

My first meter cost five times that, was analog, and only had 20K ohms
per volt.

For those young folk who aren't familiar with that, yes, the meter
input impedance changed depending on the range you set the meter to.

My first meter (a cheapie my dad's friend gave me when I was about 10) was
in that range (could it have been 10k?). The better meters I had in my
younger days were a whopping 50k ohms/volt.

I do remember seeing one of those 50K/V meters whan i was young; what
the heck has happened to them?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"clifto" wrote in message

My first meter cost five times that, was analog, and only had 20K ohms
per volt.

Mine was 2K IIRC. I still have it.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Robert Baer wrote:
Anthony Fremont wrote:

clifto wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

After reading all this,I checked the $3 DMM I bought at a Harbor
Freight sidewalk sale,and it turns out the *input Z is only ONE
megohm*. YUK!

My first meter cost five times that, was analog, and only had 20K
ohms per volt.

For those young folk who aren't familiar with that, yes, the meter
input impedance changed depending on the range you set the meter to.

My first meter (a cheapie my dad's friend gave me when I was about
10) was in that range (could it have been 10k?). The better meters
I had in my younger days were a whopping 50k ohms/volt.

I do remember seeing one of those 50K/V meters whan i was young;
what the heck has happened to them?

Here's a couple of beauts:
http://www.bkprecision.com/www/np_se...og+Multimeters

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Robert Baer wrote in
news
clifto wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:

After reading all this,I checked the $3 DMM I bought at a Harbor
Freight sidewalk sale,and it turns out the *input Z is only ONE
megohm*. YUK!

My first meter cost five times that, was analog, and only had 20K
ohms per volt.

For those young folk who aren't familiar with that, yes, the meter
input impedance changed depending on the range you set the meter to.

Check; the neatthing is that on higher voltage scales, the input
resistance exceeds that of a DMM.
Which is why i built a voltmeter/currentmeter around a 5 microamp
movement giving 200K per volt sensitivity.

Then there's the Fluke differential voltmeters,that have nearly infinite
impedance at null. ISTR a HP diff VM that had a 100Meg Z on it's off-null
mode.Then there are Keithley hi-Z meters,with gigohm input Zs.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Anthony Fremont wrote:
Robert Baer wrote:

Anthony Fremont wrote:

clifto wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

After reading all this,I checked the $3 DMM I bought at a Harbor
Freight sidewalk sale,and it turns out the *input Z is only ONE
megohm*. YUK!

My first meter cost five times that, was analog, and only had 20K
ohms per volt.

For those young folk who aren't familiar with that, yes, the meter
input impedance changed depending on the range you set the meter to.

My first meter (a cheapie my dad's friend gave me when I was about
10) was in that range (could it have been 10k?). The better meters
I had in my younger days were a whopping 50k ohms/volt.

I do remember seeing one of those 50K/V meters whan i was young;
what the heck has happened to them?

Here's a couple of beauts:
http://www.bkprecision.com/www/np_se...og+Multimeters

That 114B is the best one..
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Jim Yanik wrote:

Robert Baer wrote in
news

clifto wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

After reading all this,I checked the $3 DMM I bought at a Harbor
Freight sidewalk sale,and it turns out the *input Z is only ONE
megohm*. YUK!

My first meter cost five times that, was analog, and only had 20K
ohms per volt.

For those young folk who aren't familiar with that, yes, the meter
input impedance changed depending on the range you set the meter to.

Check; the neatthing is that on higher voltage scales, the input
resistance exceeds that of a DMM.
Which is why i built a voltmeter/currentmeter around a 5 microamp
movement giving 200K per volt sensitivity.

Then there's the Fluke differential voltmeters,that have nearly infinite
impedance at null. ISTR a HP diff VM that had a 100Meg Z on it's off-null
mode.Then there are Keithley hi-Z meters,with gigohm input Zs.

Wouldn't be neat to have a handheld differential voltmeter?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:24:18 -0600, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

Wasn't it you that said that certs
were often just a check not necessarily turning screws?

NO! I said that when you get your gear calibrated, it is typically
ONLY a verification of a good instrument.

Being off cal usually means something is awry.

What you are paying for is a VERY nice standard and a comparison
check against it. Of the hundreds of calibration sessions that we
have had done IN our lab, as opposed to sending the gear out, it was
done without them ever opening a single instrument.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 13:34:45 -0600, clifto Gave us:

My first meter cost five times that, was analog, and only had 20K ohms
per volt.

For those young folk who aren't familiar with that, yes, the meter input
impedance changed depending on the range you set the meter to.

Lemmie guess... An RCA Master Volt Ohmist?

I still have one of those as well.

Have a couple Heathkit MMs around too.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

MassiveProng wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:24:18 -0600, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

Wasn't it you that said that certs
were often just a check not necessarily turning screws?

NO! I said that when you get your gear calibrated, it is typically
ONLY a verification of a good instrument.

Pretty close to the same thing to me.

Being off cal usually means something is awry.

What you are paying for is a VERY nice standard and a comparison
check against it. Of the hundreds of calibration sessions that we
have had done IN our lab, as opposed to sending the gear out, it was
done without them ever opening a single instrument.

IOW you didn't turn any screws, you just checked it.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Robert Baer wrote:
Anthony Fremont wrote:

Here's a couple of beauts:
http://www.bkprecision.com/www/np_se...og+Multimeters

That 114B is the best one..

Yeah, but it's not as good looking as the other one though. I just recently
saw another really nice, big analog meter that someone sells. It wasn't
cheap either, but I can't recall where I saw it. I was thinking it was in
my Jameco catalog, but I can't seem to find it in there. It looked allot
like the older ones.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 20:10:09 -0600, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

MassiveProng wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:24:18 -0600, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

Wasn't it you that said that certs
were often just a check not necessarily turning screws?

NO! I said that when you get your gear calibrated, it is typically
ONLY a verification of a good instrument.

Pretty close to the same thing to me.

Being off cal usually means something is awry.

What you are paying for is a VERY nice standard and a comparison
check against it. Of the hundreds of calibration sessions that we
have had done IN our lab, as opposed to sending the gear out, it was
done without them ever opening a single instrument.

IOW you didn't turn any screws, you just checked it.

That is 99.999% of the time ALL they do.

That would be worldwide practice.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Robert Baer wrote in
link.net:

Jim Yanik wrote:

Robert Baer wrote in
news

clifto wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

why do you need that accuracy in a handheld instrument?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

"Anthony Fremont" wrote in
:

MassiveProng wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:24:18 -0600, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

Wasn't it you that said that certs
were often just a check not necessarily turning screws?

NO! I said that when you get your gear calibrated, it is typically
ONLY a verification of a good instrument.

Pretty close to the same thing to me.

Being off cal usually means something is awry.

What you are paying for is a VERY nice standard

I would say "accurate,traceable standard".

and a comparison
check against it. Of the hundreds of calibration sessions that we
have had done IN our lab, as opposed to sending the gear out, it was
done without them ever opening a single instrument.

IOW you didn't turn any screws, you just checked it.

If it meets all specs,then there is no need for adjustment.

In fact,you might make it worse by tweaking on adjustments.
(some pots or trim caps on older instruments freeze in place and turning
them breaks them or they become noisy)

Instruments that have been adjusted have to be rechecked,as some
adjustments interact with others.Trying to "optimize" a range may throw
another range or ranges out of spec.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Jim Yanik wrote:
Robert Baer wrote in
link.net:

Jim Yanik wrote:

Robert Baer wrote in
news

clifto wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

I don't *need* a Ferrari, but it would be neat to have one.

--
Martians drive SUVs! http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

On 9 Mar 2007 17:24:20 GMT, Jim Yanik Gave us:

"Anthony Fremont" wrote in
:

MassiveProng wrote:
[...]

All great reasons to abide 100% with my original reply.

So there, Too Much Toolessness!, you ****ing RETARD!.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

clifto wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote:
Robert Baer wrote in
link.net:

Jim Yanik wrote:

Robert Baer wrote in
news

clifto wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

well,precision lab instruments are used in lab conditions,with at least 15
minute warmup times to allow the unit to stabilize,and to expect that
accuracy in a handheld that would be used in non-lab conditions....it
doesn't make sense.

BTW,when calibrating precision instruments,the unit under test has to warm
up and stabilize for 20 minutes minimum,and the lab has a controlled
temperature and humidity,usually 73+/-2 degF. Of course,your lab standards
have already been powered up and stabilized for the proper time.
Insturments used outside of specified temps were derated in accuracy.

I worked in a USAF depot-level primary standards lab.(PMEL)
(before repairing and calibrating for Tektronix for 21.5 yrs.)
My lab (L.G. Hanscom Fld) did the MIT-Lincoln Labs instruments,besides the
usual USAF stuff,covered Pease,Otis,and other military bases.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Jim Yanik wrote:

Robert Baer wrote in
link.net:

Jim Yanik wrote:

Robert Baer wrote in
news

clifto wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

Someone asked the same question about a pocket scope.
I guess there are times and conditions when such "esoteric" equipment
would be nice to have.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

MassiveProng wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:24:18 -0600, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

Wasn't it you that said that certs
were often just a check not necessarily turning screws?

NO! I said that when you get your gear calibrated, it is typically
ONLY a verification of a good instrument.

Being off cal usually means something is awry.

What you are paying for is a VERY nice standard and a comparison
check against it. Of the hundreds of calibration sessions that we
have had done IN our lab, as opposed to sending the gear out, it was
done without them ever opening a single instrument.

-
Odd, I've been working in a cal lab for the last few years, and I'd say
a good 10% of what we get has something wrong with it. Some of it is
designed-in problems, but most of the rest is due to impact damage or
contamination. Our customers are largely the petrochemical industries
along the Gulf Coast, and they apparently believe that if a piece of
gear can't survive a 1 meter fall onto concrete, or being rained on and
rattling around in the back of a pickup truck for a few weeks, than
there's obviously something wrong with it anyway. It makes for a good
business in replacing switching, connectors and cracked LCDs.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:41:44 GMT, Robert Baer
Gave us:

Jim Yanik wrote:

Robert Baer wrote in
link.net:

Jim Yanik wrote:

Robert Baer wrote in
news

clifto wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

Ahhhh... the "nice" factor.

I think it would be nice to have a nice Agilent spectrum analyser,
or network analyser, but I don't have $60+k for each right now.

Maybe after I win the lottery.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:38:04 -0600, Palinurus
Gave us:

MassiveProng wrote:
[...]

Which distinctly falls under the category of REPAIR, NOT
calibration.