Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default BIOS Reset Help

I have changed the DIMM's in a computer in order
to upgrade. Since then, all I get when powering
up, is one long beep followed by two short beeps.
I understand this is a memory error. I have re-
installed the original DIMM's but the error persists.
I have removed the BIOS battery and re-installed,
no good. I tried shorting two points close to
the battery in order to "clear CMOS" also without
success. Is there another reset procedure?

This message is encoded in (free) open source Linux
The reliable virus-resistant alternative to Windows

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Lionel Wagner wrote:

I have changed the DIMM's in a computer in order
to upgrade. Since then, all I get when powering
up, is one long beep followed by two short beeps.
I understand this is a memory error.

1 long, *three* short is a memory error Beep Code for an AMI BIOS.

I have re-
installed the original DIMM's but the error persists.
I have removed the BIOS battery and re-installed,
no good. I tried shorting two points close to
the battery in order to "clear CMOS" also without
success. Is there another reset procedure?

This message is encoded in (free) open source Linux
The reliable virus-resistant alternative to Windows

Did you check for damage to the DIMM sockets from forcing
something/incorrect installation? Look for any desbris that got onto the
socket contacts when changing the DIMM's? Did you try cleaning the DIMM
contacts? If it is a memory problem clearing the CMOS settings won't
help. The computer is telling you the DIMM's aren't seated
correctly/poor contact or the DIMM's are bad.

Rick

Rick
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Lionel Wagner wrote:
I have changed the DIMM's in a computer in order
to upgrade. Since then, all I get when powering
up, is one long beep followed by two short beeps.
I understand this is a memory error. I have re-
installed the original DIMM's but the error persists.
I have removed the BIOS battery and re-installed,
no good. I tried shorting two points close to
the battery in order to "clear CMOS" also without
success. Is there another reset procedure?

This message is encoded in (free) open source Linux
The reliable virus-resistant alternative to Windows

I would clean up all the contacts first.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I would clean up all the contacts first.

Also, check those plastic latches ... they can break. One of the reasons
that I hate to work on computers.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:52:07 -0500, Lionel Wagner
wrote:

I have changed the DIMM's in a computer in order
to upgrade. Since then, all I get when powering
up, is one long beep followed by two short beeps.
I understand this is a memory error. I have re-
installed the original DIMM's but the error persists.
I have removed the BIOS battery and re-installed,
no good. I tried shorting two points close to
the battery in order to "clear CMOS" also without
success. Is there another reset procedure?

This message is encoded in (free) open source Linux
The reliable virus-resistant alternative to Windows

I've had,on Gigabyte boards, both end latches snapped on the memory
tabs and the middle pins still not making contact. The solution was
removing the motherboard, laying it on a flat surface, and pushing the
memory modules into the sockets with pressure on the middle of the
module. (Don't snap in one side and then the other.) Hope this works
for you. Chuck

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles Schuler wrote:
I would clean up all the contacts first.

Also, check those plastic latches ... they can break. One of the reasons
that I hate to work on computers.

I broke my plastic latches. The memory still works. Without the latches
vibration could loosen them so keep an eye on them. Also if you have a
ram fan it will probably put too much stress on the DIMM without
latches. Don't use the fan and take those head sinks off the DIMM.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles Schuler wrote:
I would clean up all the contacts first.

Also, check those plastic latches ... they can break. One of the
reasons that I hate to work on computers.

The specific slots used can be an issue. If the number one slot is empty
you'll get an error. For example. if there are 4 slots, 2 DIMM's would use
slots 1 and 3. They may be color coded.

I was building a computer a while back and ran into this - hadn't heard of
it before.

Mark Z.

BIOS setting wefixpc Electronics Repair 1 May 2nd 06 12:52 AM
is CMOS = BIOS in motherboard? fixpc Electronics Repair 8 March 3rd 06 06:38 PM
ami bios Joseph Spinola Electronics 4 January 1st 06 05:42 AM
help with bios updates shera Electronics Repair 3 June 4th 05 08:15 PM
How do I get into bios? [email protected] Electronics Repair 12 April 15th 05 04:51 AM