Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dead Compaq Armada 4210T Laptop

Hi,
My brother gave me his "dead" Compaq Armada 4210T laptop to repair.
I normally service TVs and other stuff. With fully charged battery,
absolutely nothing (no hard disk spin or floppy disk drive noise (with a boot
floppy), no "beeps" or lights of any kind) happens when you turn it on.

If I connect the external power (plugs into AC), the only thing that
happens when you turn it on, 4 of five LEDs (power, caps lock, scroll lock,
number lock) light up (the battery charging LED is off). However, you can't
turn it off to make the LEDs go off unless you unplug the external power
source. I opened the unit and found a tiny 5A fuse, but that tested good
(not open). I examined circuits for bad solder joints. Also checked for
loose connections of any kind.

If you ever had this experience, please tell me what you did to fix it.

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi,

I found a tiny spark of "life" in this laptop. With the room totally
quite, if I put a boot floppy disk in the drive, I can hear a small noise
when I turn on the power (but floppy drive doesn't run). If I remove the
floppy disk, it isn't there.

Also, I can turn off the "power" (make the LEDs go off) if I hold down the
Ctrl key when I press the power button.

I still need your help.

Thanks in advance, Brad