Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Exploded NiCd Batteries

While attempting a home-charge of a set of NiCd batteries, they were
left unattended and consequently exploded (relatively high current was
flowing through them). The basement area in which the explosion took
place is currently being ventilated overnight.

Does anyone have any recommendations for further safety precautions or
clean-up procedures?

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I especially like the "follow manufacturers instructions" part.
Just need to overcome my "reading inhibitions". :-)ooo

FWIW, this happened because I was doing a fast charge.
I'm usually very careful to stop the process as soon as there
is any heat.

But this time I got called to dinner when I should have been
watching the stew. Actually more like pop-corn!

On a more serious note, I am reminded about how familiarity breeds
contempt and can often lead to compromising safety.

Anyway, cleaned up the mess. No real harm seems to have been
done except I prolly blew up about $60.00 worth of nicad cells.

DOC
Have robots. Will travel. http://www.robot-one.ca

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee wrote:
In article ,
(known to some as ) scribed...

"Jim Land" wrote in message . 3.44...
wrote in news:1169348263.349379.159780@
51g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

While attempting a home-charge of a set of NiCd batteries, they were
left unattended and consequently exploded (relatively high current was
flowing through them). The basement area in which the explosion took
place is currently being ventilated overnight.

BigSnip

The potassium hydroxide (35%) is the worst component
in NiCd batteries. Rinse splattered areas with as much
water as you can.

And, in times to come, it might be wise to follow the battery
manufacturer's recommendations for charging procedures, especially the
current level.

If you're paranoid, you can rig a sort of "charging chamber" with
some hollow-center cinder blocks. That will at least confine the damage
if it happens again.

I'm guessing no one was hurt.

Keep the peace(es).

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I especially like the "follow manufacturers instructions" part.
Just need to overcome my "reading inhibitions". :-)ooo

FWIW, this happened because I was doing a fast charge.
I'm usually very careful to stop the process as soon as there
is any heat.

But this time I got called to dinner when I should have been
watching the stew. Actually more like pop-corn!

On a more serious note, I am reminded about how familiarity breeds
contempt and can often lead to compromising safety.

Anyway, cleaned up the mess. No real harm seems to have been
done except I prolly blew up about $60.00 worth of nicad cells.

I use a timer as a fail safe. Relatively cheap.

outside elec. outlet exploded Barry Home Repair 10 November 22nd 05 05:46 AM
My fan exploded Dan C Home Repair 8 August 8th 05 07:33 PM
How to check holdingcapacity of rechargeable NiCd batteries SISC Electronics Repair 3 July 21st 05 04:10 AM
Yet another NiCd charging question Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 12 February 11th 04 07:45 AM
NICD vs NIMH batteries [email protected] UK diy 12 January 28th 04 01:09 PM