DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Powering internal PC fans (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/189515-powering-internal-pc-fans.html)

[email protected] January 17th 07 10:42 PM

Powering internal PC fans

Does anyone know of a way to power a standard internal pc fan with an
external power supply? Are there any products out there that would make
this simple? What I am doing is I have a lot of external hardware in a
homemade case to provide portability. I have created an array of fans
in the rear of it but need a way to power them without running them
from the PCs internal supply. Any help would be great

James Sweet January 18th 07 06:50 PM

Powering internal PC fans

wrote:
Does anyone know of a way to power a standard internal pc fan with an
external power supply? Are there any products out there that would make
this simple? What I am doing is I have a lot of external hardware in a
homemade case to provide portability. I have created an array of fans
in the rear of it but need a way to power them without running them
from the PCs internal supply. Any help would be great

Sure, just use one of those cheap "wall wart" bricks that puts out 12vdc.

GregS January 18th 07 07:23 PM

Powering internal PC fans

In article SjPrh.9536$Wz.7259@trndny06, wrote:
wrote:
Does anyone know of a way to power a standard internal pc fan with an
external power supply? Are there any products out there that would make
this simple? What I am doing is I have a lot of external hardware in a
homemade case to provide portability. I have created an array of fans
in the rear of it but need a way to power them without running them
from the PCs internal supply. Any help would be great

Sure, just use one of those cheap "wall wart" bricks that puts out 12vdc.

You can buy a 12 volt regulated wall warts from jameco, just a bit more
than the unregulated model. Also small and light weight.

greg

UCLAN January 18th 07 08:46 PM

Powering internal PC fans

James Sweet wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to power a standard internal pc fan with an
external power supply? Are there any products out there that would make
this simple? What I am doing is I have a lot of external hardware in a
homemade case to provide portability. I have created an array of fans
in the rear of it but need a way to power them without running them
from the PCs internal supply. Any help would be great

Sure, just use one of those cheap "wall wart" bricks that puts out 12vdc.

If it's unregulated (most are unregulated), make sure the 12v
output is at the total needed current. I had an unregulated
wall wart rated at 12v @ 500mA that I was running only at about
300 mA. The output was actually a little over 13v.

James Sweet January 19th 07 12:10 AM

Powering internal PC fans

UCLAN wrote:
James Sweet wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to power a standard internal pc fan with an
external power supply? Are there any products out there that would make
this simple? What I am doing is I have a lot of external hardware in a
homemade case to provide portability. I have created an array of fans
in the rear of it but need a way to power them without running them
from the PCs internal supply. Any help would be great

Sure, just use one of those cheap "wall wart" bricks that puts out 12vdc.

If it's unregulated (most are unregulated), make sure the 12v
output is at the total needed current. I had an unregulated
wall wart rated at 12v @ 500mA that I was running only at about
300 mA. The output was actually a little over 13v.

A little over 13v will be fine for PC fans, they're not terribly
sensitive and will run fine as high as 15V or so without issues.

UCLAN January 19th 07 05:42 AM

Powering internal PC fans

James Sweet wrote:

Sure, just use one of those cheap "wall wart" bricks that puts out
12vdc.

If it's unregulated (most are unregulated), make sure the 12v
output is at the total needed current. I had an unregulated
wall wart rated at 12v @ 500mA that I was running only at about
300 mA. The output was actually a little over 13v.

A little over 13v will be fine for PC fans, they're not terribly
sensitive and will run fine as high as 15V or so without issues.

Unless noise is an issue (since they will be at a higher RPM.)