DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Re-using laptop displays.... (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/187261-re-re-using-laptop-displays.html)

Michael Black December 28th 06 01:34 AM

Re-using laptop displays....

(Not me) writes:
Has anyone _ever_ found a laptop model that the screen could somewhat
easily be salvaged for use as a standalone display?

See the thread the last time this question was asked, which likely was
last week.

At the very most, someone asked it in the past month.

And of course, nothing had changed about the answers from all
the previous times someone had asked.

Michael

James Sweet December 30th 06 04:10 AM

Re-using laptop displays....

No, people usually ask "can I use my old laptop as a monitor?".
I'm asking if anyone here has ever found a specific model that can be
hacked in this way; I'd be a little surprised if there were no laptops
ever made with the video subsection on a daughterboard.

Every one that I've ever seen has been the same, a custom digital
interface designed for whatever specific graphics controller chip is in
the machine. Laptops need to be as compact, light weight, lowest power
consumption and lowest cost possible, no way they'll use some sort of
kludge board to adapt the signal to the LCD when graphics controllers
are available that already directly support LCD panels.

Closest you'll find are laptops with upgradeable graphics boards, but
it'd take some doing to get one of those working in a desktop PC and
you'd still end up with a relatively small display in a hacked enclosure
when you could buy something equivalent that will plug right into your
PC for only a couple hundred bucks.