DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Technics Turntable Problem (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/187169-technics-turntable-problem.html)

[email protected] December 27th 06 07:46 AM

Technics Turntable Problem

Hi....

Picked up a Technics SL-BD22 on Ebay. The tone arm is supposed to
return to the cradle at the end of the record or when you press the Stop
button. Unfortunately, it doesn't. Otherwise, looks new & sounds quite
good with the Grado cartridge.

Can anyone advise a way to troubeshoot/ fix this when I crawl in there?
Any websites offering advice or pictures?

Thanks in advance....Mike

Ross Herbert December 27th 06 11:15 AM

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 02:46:26 -0500, wrote:

Hi....

Picked up a Technics SL-BD22 on Ebay. The tone arm is supposed to
return to the cradle at the end of the record or when you press the Stop
button. Unfortunately, it doesn't. Otherwise, looks new & sounds quite
good with the Grado cartridge.

Can anyone advise a way to troubeshoot/ fix this when I crawl in there?
Any websites offering advice or pictures?

Thanks in advance....Mike

You can buy a service manual here (search for slbd22)
http://www.manuals-in-pdf.com/index.php

GPG December 27th 06 12:43 PM

Ross Herbert wrote:
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 02:46:26 -0500, wrote:

Hi....

Picked up a Technics SL-BD22 on Ebay. The tone arm is supposed to
return to the cradle at the end of the record or when you press the Stop
button. Unfortunately, it doesn't. Otherwise, looks new & sounds quite
good with the Grado cartridge.

Can anyone advise a way to troubeshoot/ fix this when I crawl in there?
Any websites offering advice or pictures?

Thanks in advance....Mike

Take the platter off and check that the engagement hook on the gear
moves when the arm is moved towards the centre or the stop button is
pushed.

Arfa Daily December 27th 06 10:04 PM

Technics Turntable Problem

"GPG" wrote in message
ps.com...

Ross Herbert wrote:
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 02:46:26 -0500, wrote:

Hi....

Picked up a Technics SL-BD22 on Ebay. The tone arm is supposed to
return to the cradle at the end of the record or when you press the Stop
button. Unfortunately, it doesn't. Otherwise, looks new & sounds quite
good with the Grado cartridge.

Can anyone advise a way to troubeshoot/ fix this when I crawl in there?
Any websites offering advice or pictures?

Thanks in advance....Mike

Take the platter off and check that the engagement hook on the gear
moves when the arm is moved towards the centre or the stop button is
pushed.

Agreed. Could be as simple as the pusher wire, which engages the lever that
works the gate on the main gear, has become displaced, such that neither the
tone arm, nor the stop button, cause it to move.

Arfa

jakdedert December 27th 06 10:46 PM

Technics Turntable Problem

Arfa Daily wrote:
"GPG" wrote in message
ps.com...
Ross Herbert wrote:
[...]

If it's old, the chances are that there is old, hardened grease in there
which is not allowing something to move, which should be....

jak

Malissa Baldwin December 28th 06 06:52 PM

wrote:
Hi....

Picked up a Technics SL-BD22 on Ebay. The tone arm is supposed to
return to the cradle at the end of the record or when you press the Stop
button. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

You answered your own question, You bought it off Ebay.

Mark D. Zacharias December 29th 06 11:04 AM

Malissa Baldwin wrote:
wrote:
Hi....

Picked up a Technics SL-BD22 on Ebay. The tone arm is supposed to
return to the cradle at the end of the record or when you press the
Stop button. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

You answered your own question, You bought it off Ebay.

I've bought tons of stuff on eBay - rarely any problems, though I don't
really consider normal maintenance on 30 year old equipment to be
unexpected. The worst I've had were a couple pieces where the condition was
overstated (as "good" when "fair to poor" would have been more appropriate),
and a Tandberg open reel with lube problems. Anyone who knows Tandberg at
all should expect them to be maintenance intensive anyway, so I wasn't too
upset.

Mark Z.

b December 29th 06 04:42 PM

Technics Turntable Problem

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Malissa Baldwin wrote:

--snip
and a Tandberg open reel with lube problems. Anyone who knows Tandberg at
all should expect them to be maintenance intensive anyway, so I wasn't too
upset. Mark Z.

In the later, solenoid operated Tandbergs I've seen , the pinch roller
mech always has hard grease on and needs stripping and relubing or the
unit won't rewind; I've also seen 'em suffer from spasmodic logic due
to the 33v rectifier, and the odd BC147 transistor. As for the older
mechs like the series 14, 15 etc, they seem to rarely give any
problems . Real workhorses. I wouldn't say Tandbergs were maintainance
intensive at all. At least no more or less compared to other r2r makes
I've used or worked on....Ben

Mark D. Zacharias December 30th 06 08:50 PM

Technics Turntable Problem

b wrote:
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Malissa Baldwin wrote:

--snip
and a Tandberg open reel with lube problems. Anyone who knows
Tandberg at all should expect them to be maintenance intensive
anyway, so I wasn't too upset. Mark Z.

In the later, solenoid operated Tandbergs I've seen , the pinch roller
mech always has hard grease on and needs stripping and relubing or the
unit won't rewind; I've also seen 'em suffer from spasmodic logic due
to the 33v rectifier, and the odd BC147 transistor. As for the older
mechs like the series 14, 15 etc, they seem to rarely give any
problems . Real workhorses. I wouldn't say Tandbergs were maintainance
intensive at all. At least no more or less compared to other r2r makes
I've used or worked on....Ben

My experience with Tandberg starts with the 3000X. Brakes crumbled, belt
sagged, regulator transistor opened up, lamps died, motor overheated from
bad lubrication, power switch went bad, I forget if there was any other
problems. I've fixed it more times than I can count.

Had a 9200XD. Bad frequency response on one channel (since new), Dolby relay
would go off by itself, record inhibit IC went tits up, then after I got it
all running again, it got stolen.

Had my brother's old 3300X for a while. Replace the bad euro capacitors
since they were failing (getting hot, bad sound, etc) and cleaned the
connectors, replaced the belt. As soon as power was applied one of the BC
transistors failed immediately, pegging the meter.

Had another 9200 XD, had the usual tarnished connectors, lamps out, and bad
lube.

I have a 10XD which I haven't even had the heart to get into.

Mark Z.