DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   VCR died suddenly (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/185478-vcr-died-suddenly.html)

[email protected] December 11th 06 03:50 AM

VCR died suddenly

The VCR (Orion VR0211) was working fine one day, then wouldn't turn on
the next day - not with the remote, not with the switch on the box
itself.

There is a glass fuse inside which is intact. I also tested it with an
ohm meter. What else would be a likely cause of this problem? Thanks.

Eeyore December 11th 06 03:58 AM

VCR died suddenly

wrote:

The VCR (Orion VR0211) was working fine one day, then wouldn't turn on
the next day - not with the remote, not with the switch on the box
itself.

There is a glass fuse inside which is intact. I also tested it with an
ohm meter. What else would be a likely cause of this problem? Thanks.

Something went pop in the power supply I expect.

Orions soldier on quite well actually. The one I bought in 1988 ( branded Matsui
) still works OK albeit with a noisy motor now.

A competent tech can probably fix it fairly easily.

Graham

James Sweet December 11th 06 04:32 AM

VCR died suddenly

wrote:
The VCR (Orion VR0211) was working fine one day, then wouldn't turn on
the next day - not with the remote, not with the switch on the box
itself.

There is a glass fuse inside which is intact. I also tested it with an
ohm meter. What else would be a likely cause of this problem? Thanks.

Probably bad electrolytic capacitors in the power supply.

Eeyore December 11th 06 05:00 AM

VCR died suddenly

James Sweet wrote:

wrote:
The VCR (Orion VR0211) was working fine one day, then wouldn't turn on
the next day - not with the remote, not with the switch on the box
itself.

There is a glass fuse inside which is intact. I also tested it with an
ohm meter. What else would be a likely cause of this problem? Thanks.

Probably bad electrolytic capacitors in the power supply.

Especially likely if it has a few years on it ! They only last so long.

Graham

b December 11th 06 08:59 PM

VCR died suddenly

ha escrito:

The VCR (Orion VR0211) was working fine one day, then wouldn't turn on
the next day - not with the remote, not with the switch on the box
itself.

There is a glass fuse inside which is intact. I also tested it with an
ohm meter. What else would be a likely cause of this problem? Thanks.

start by changng the small cap (1uF, 2.2uf or 10uF) near the switching
transistor in the power supply. This problem is extremely common-

-B