DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   VCR sometimes doesn't eject tape - several tries necessary (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/184701-vcr-sometimes-doesnt-eject-tape-several-tries-necessary.html)

Dan_Musicant December 4th 06 02:24 AM

VCR sometimes doesn't eject tape - several tries necessary

One of my two S-VHS recorders has this problem, an RCA VR695HF. I bought
it about 1990. It was one of the earliest S-VHS decks. I also have the
earliest one, a JVC JRS-7000U. Both decks have been repaired a few times
- the heads have been replaced.

The RCA deck has had a problem for a while. It doesn't always eject the
tape. I press the eject button and I hear the mechanism kick in but the
tape doesn't eject. Until a couple weeks ago, it usually (not always!!)
ejected on the second press (the same sound happened both presses, but
the second time the tape came out). A couple weeks ago I had to press it
40-50 times before the tape finally came out. Annoying, especially
because the tape was due back at the library that day.

Some months ago I took the cover off and looked for something to adjust
or lubricate but whatever I did didn't help (cleaned, a bit of
lubrication here and there, blow compressed air, etc.). Using a
different tape has no evident effect.

Any ideas what I might look for in troubleshooting and fixing this
problem? I have a book on repairing VCR's, but its flowcharts haven't
helped.

Thanks!

Dan

rb December 4th 06 01:52 PM

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
[...]

Check loading belt if it has one.

Jumpster Jiver December 4th 06 08:13 PM

Dan_Musicant wrote:
[...]

I believe you need to replace the entire right (gear driven ) side of
the cassette carriage. This was a common repair on RCA VCRs.
I think you can still find it if you ask a parts distributor.
Sorry I don't remember the part number.

Dan_Musicant December 4th 06 10:24 PM

VCR sometimes doesn't eject tape - several tries necessary

:
[...]

If I order the part, will it be fairly evident how to do the
replacement? Thanks for the help!

Dan

PS Is the part interchangeable between different RCA VCR's? IOW, if I
find a used one? Thanks!

Bill S. December 6th 06 01:13 PM

VCR sometimes doesn't eject tape - several tries necessary

In article ,
says...
The RCA deck has had a problem for a while. It doesn't always eject the
tape. I press the eject button and I hear the mechanism kick in but the
tape doesn't eject. Until a couple weeks ago, it usually (not always!!)
ejected on the second press (the same sound happened both presses, but
the second time the tape came out). A couple weeks ago I had to press it
40-50 times before the tape finally came out. Annoying, especially
because the tape was due back at the library that day.

Slipping belt is most common. Also, dirty mode switch can
cause a variety of symptoms, as clutches and brakes must be
timed properly.