Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fan in microwave oven going out

Should I be concerned? What is this fan's job? Is it to keep the oven
ventilated of food vapors or to cool the magnetron? If the latter then I
need to replace it asap.

Thanks,
DaveL

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dave wrote:

Should I be concerned? What is this fan's job? Is it to keep the oven
ventilated of food vapors or to cool the magnetron? If the latter then I
need to replace it asap.

Yes, its main purpose is to cool magnetron, although it does also the
cooking chamber ventilation. So replace it asap..

--
Top-posting not supported.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dave" nospam wrote in
:

Should I be concerned? What is this fan's job? Is it to keep the
oven ventilated of food vapors or to cool the magnetron? If the
latter then I need to replace it asap.

From the FAQ:
Since 30 to 50 percent of the power into a microwave oven is dissipated
as heat in the Magnetron, cooling is extremely important. Always inspect
the cooling fan/motor for dust and dirt and lubricate if necessary. A
couple of drops of electric motor oil or 3-in-One will go a long way. If
there are any belts, inspect for deterioration and replace if necessary.

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/sam/micfaq.htm#miccfans

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dave wrote:
Should I be concerned? What is this fan's job? Is it to keep the oven
ventilated of food vapors or to cool the magnetron? If the latter then
I need to replace it asap.

Thanks,
DaveL

The fan is critical. They rarely fail though, usually cleaning and
lubricating the bearings will get you a few more years.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dave" nospam wrote in message
. ..
Should I be concerned? What is this fan's job? Is it to keep the oven
ventilated of food vapors or to cool the magnetron? If the latter then I
need to replace it asap.

http://home.cvc.org/microwaves/34_Stirrer.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dave wrote:

Should I be concerned? What is this fan's job? Is it to keep the oven
ventilated of food vapors or to cool the magnetron? If the latter then I
need to replace it asap.

Thanks,
DaveL

The fan cools the magnetron, which runs red hot under forced cooling.*
It cools the transformer. It also blows the steam out so the electrics
dont get wet. All these are non-optional functions. If the fan fails,
switch off right away.

NT

* used to have one where you could watch it glow in use

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

The fan cools the magnetron, which runs red hot under forced cooling.*
It cools the transformer. It also blows the steam out so the electrics
dont get wet.

And in a sensor microwave it purges the chamber.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Well, I have a couple of the covers off. I have the control panel off and I
can see the fan. It's in the back and not accessable without removing the
entire unit (it's a GE, over the stove type). I'd like to verify if the
cooling fan is not turning (it's been very quiet lately). I also took off
the bottom panel to reveal a small cover which I also removed revealing the
stiring motor. This oven still cooks evenly so I guess the stirer is Ok?
Can I run the oven to check the fan with the control panel off? Is that
safe? I can see the magnetron housing in front of the fan. It seems to be
ducted under the bottom to the stirer.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Well, I tried another test. I taped a piece of tissue paper to the air inlet
into the cooking area and ran the unit. The airflow is simultaneous with
the fan noise (which has been slow to activate and not as loud). So it is
the fan and I need to lube it and the unit must come off the wall to do it.
Bummer.

DaveL

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Please note that if you can see the microwave stirrer through a hole without
intervening wire mesh and the hole is more than a fraction of an inch
in diameter, the microwaves can get to you!

However, if it was only on for a couple of seconds, the magnetron filament
hasn't had a chance to get hot.

"dave" nospam writes:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yes. I put the cover back on the stirrer motor before starting. I've come
to the conclusion that the cooling/ventilation fan is getting weak. It's
slow to start up and even then only runs at half speed. It is located
towards the back so I''ll have to pull the unit off the wall to get to it.
It will take me a few days to do that. I saw a thermistor on the magnetron.
Looks like part of a thermal cutout circuit. Since that will keep it from
overheating I think I'm safe using the oven like this for the short term.
Hey, I'm a bachelor. I can't survive without my microwave!

DaveL

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Please note that if you can see the microwave stirrer through a hole
without
intervening wire mesh and the hole is more than a fraction of an inch
in diameter, the microwaves can get to you!

However, if it was only on for a couple of seconds, the magnetron filament
hasn't had a chance to get hot.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above
is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included
in the

"dave" nospam writes:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dave" nospam wrote in message
. ..

Yes. I put the cover back on the stirrer motor before starting. I've
come to the conclusion that the cooling/ventilation fan is getting weak.
It's slow to start up and even then only runs at half speed. It is
located towards the back so I''ll have to pull the unit off the wall to
get to it. It will take me a few days to do that. I saw a thermistor on
the magnetron. Looks like part of a thermal cutout circuit. Since that
will keep it from overheating I think I'm safe using the oven like this
for the short term. Hey, I'm a bachelor. I can't survive without my
microwave!

I would clean the bearings with a solvent (like kerosene), soak that out
with paper towels getting them as clean and dust free as I can, then use a
good oil for self lubricating bearings.

However that is my choice - YMMV.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
[...]

Some basic clues re safety would be good for the op too, might help him
live longer.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" writes:

[...]

That would probably work for awhile, perhaps years, but I wonder given
the difficulty and time required to get to the motor if simply replacing
it would be a better option.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

I would clean the bearings with a solvent (like kerosene), soak that out
with paper towels getting them as clean and dust free as I can, then use
good oil for self lubricating bearings.

However that is my choice - YMMV.

That would probably work for awhile, perhaps years, but I wonder given
the difficulty and time required to get to the motor if simply replacing
it would be a better option.

I'm assuming that anyone who attempts this is cheap enough to spend the time
and brave enough to open the box.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dave wrote:
Well, I have a couple of the covers off. I have the control panel off
and I can see the fan. It's in the back and not accessable without
removing the entire unit (it's a GE, over the stove type). I'd like to
verify if the cooling fan is not turning (it's been very quiet lately).
I also took off the bottom panel to reveal a small cover which I also
removed revealing the stiring motor. This oven still cooks evenly so I
guess the stirer is Ok? Can I run the oven to check the fan with the
control panel off? Is that safe? I can see the magnetron housing in
front of the fan. It seems to be ducted under the bottom to the stirer.

Dave

Usually it's only 4 screws to remove the entire unit on those over range
ones. You'll spend a lot less time removing the whole thing to work on
it than you will trying to work around it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

While you do the cleaning and lubrication, check also the connections
to make sure that there aren't bad contacts.

--
Top-posting not supported.

Banned

Location: Tajikistan
Send a message via ICQ to WalterKiz Send a message via AIM to WalterKiz Send a message via Yahoo to WalterKiz Send a message via Skype™ to WalterKiz
Default Custom Writing Essay Succeed At Studying

You might also want to suggest more study or comment on matters that it wasn't possible that you discuss in the paper. The writing profession consists of many perks. In the event you have any fiscal essay writing difficulty, let's know for we will aid you with all writings which are quality and which are free from plagiarism.
Personalised assignment writing service business will have their own sites Apparently, a badly written post reflects the sort of support which you offer.
Content writing is also a sort of essay writing, just you ought to be careful using the principles, if you believe that it's possible to write essay properly then easily you might also compose the articles, it's not in any way a huge thing. It is the chief part of the prewriting procedure of an essay.
Feelings that may keep you from writing your book. Writing an essay is a tough issue to perform to get a student and also for a typical man who doesn't have the specific comprehension of the language and the grammar that ought to be utilised within an essay.
After the pupil doesn't have a private opinion, then they should simply earn a choice to select a subject, and select pro or con. Very very good essay writers possess the capacity to give aid to their students if it's required.
Regardless of what the impacts, the expression paper writing service industry will nonetheless grow. Internet isn't only alternative method to traditional processes of music supply, but additionally a wonderful prospect for artists and music-recording businesses to expose those products to broad public. The writing service should additionally have a guarantee that all work is original and distinctive from a number of other content.
https://wellsa.in/myshop/secrets-abo...essay-exposed/

Microwave oven Retired Electronics Repair 5 April 18th 06 10:46 AM
Samsung Microwave & GE Microwave oven Soyrunner Electronics Repair 5 March 15th 05 01:46 PM
Microwave oven query Syke UK diy 5 February 3rd 05 09:10 AM
above oven microwave oreo123 Home Repair 9 October 21st 04 06:45 PM
dead GE microwave oven Chuck Chopp Electronics Repair 2 February 24th 04 02:01 AM