DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DVD on Dell Laptop (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/183284-dvd-dell-laptop.html)

Sarah November 20th 06 01:18 PM

DVD on Dell Laptop

Hello, can anyone help with what to do if certain DVDs don't play on my
Dell Inspiron 640m laptop. VCDs and some DVDs ok. Thanks! Sarah

Jumpster Jiver November 20th 06 08:22 PM

DVD on Dell Laptop

Sarah wrote:
Hello, can anyone help with what to do if certain DVDs don't play on my
Dell Inspiron 640m laptop. VCDs and some DVDs ok. Thanks! Sarah

First check that you have the latest drivers, and reinstall if necessary.
However... chances are the drive is bad. If you are able to
disassemble it you can try cleaning the lens, but your best bet is to
replace the drive.
You can buy any brand drive - it doesn't have to be dell brand.

[email protected] November 20th 06 10:47 PM

DVD on Dell Laptop

check the region code for the DVD, and try using PowerDVD as software.

bz November 20th 06 11:03 PM

DVD on Dell Laptop

Jumpster Jiver wrote in news:45620E6A.3020902
@no.spam.today:

Sarah wrote:
Hello, can anyone help with what to do if certain DVDs don't play on my
Dell Inspiron 640m laptop. VCDs and some DVDs ok. Thanks! Sarah

First check that you have the latest drivers, and reinstall if necessary.
However... chances are the drive is bad. If you are able to
disassemble it you can try cleaning the lens, but your best bet is to
replace the drive.
You can buy any brand drive - it doesn't have to be dell brand.

I think you missed the fact that it is a laptop computer.

1) She doesn't need to disassemble in order to clean the lense.
2) It is unlikely that another brand drive will fit. It is even unlikely
that the drive from another model dell will fit.
She COULD get an external drive.
She could check with dell for price of a replacement drive
She could look for a junker of the same model and hope the cd drive is
good.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

JW November 21st 06 10:34 AM

DVD on Dell Laptop

On 20 Nov 2006 05:18:53 -0800 "Sarah" wrote in
Message id: om:

Hello, can anyone help with what to do if certain DVDs don't play on my
Dell Inspiron 640m laptop. VCDs and some DVDs ok. Thanks! Sarah

Have you checked the region code of both the DVD and the DVD player to see
if they match? The region code of your DVD player can be accessed (and
changed, but only 5 times IIRC) in the device manager under advanced
settings for the drive. See:
See http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdl...gioncodesa.htm

Jumpster Jiver November 22nd 06 12:55 AM

DVD on Dell Laptop

Sarah wrote:

[...]

Oops, I did miss that. Silly since I'm typing on an Inspiron right now.

nonya damnbizness November 22nd 06 04:47 PM

DVD on Dell Laptop

Make sure you have the latest codecs installed
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

Sarah November 24th 06 11:01 PM

DVD on Dell Laptop

Thank you all for your help! Sarah