DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Small DC motor question (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/182663-small-dc-motor-question.html)

cool jer November 15th 06 02:44 AM

Small DC motor question

Hi,

I have a couple of questions concerning a small dc motor that operates
a moving display track. It uses a 15 volt 400ma adapter which checks
out fine. The motor powers a sliding arm that reverses when it reaches
the end of the run and vice versa. What I am having trouble with is
keeping the motor running. After a minute or so the motor quits, when I
disconnect the motor and wait a minute or so and re-connect it, it runs
again for another 15 seconds. I went out and purchased 2 new similar
motors and they do the same thing. If I hook the motor up directly to
the ac adapter the motor will run with no problems. The adapter powers
a little circuit board that houses the electronics for the reversing
switch, from here the wires go to the motor. Is the problem in the
switch or board? Are there motor problems? Thanks in advance for the
help.

Homer J Simpson November 15th 06 03:40 AM

Small DC motor question

"cool jer" wrote in message
ups.com...

What I am having trouble with is
keeping the motor running. After a minute or so the motor quits, when I
disconnect the motor and wait a minute or so and re-connect it, it runs
again for another 15 seconds.

Is it getting hot? How does it run with no load?

cool jer November 15th 06 03:48 AM

Small DC motor question

Homer J Simpson wrote:
"cool jer" wrote in message
ups.com...

What I am having trouble with is
keeping the motor running. After a minute or so the motor quits, when I
disconnect the motor and wait a minute or so and re-connect it, it runs
again for another 15 seconds.

Is it getting hot? How does it run with no load?

No, all three motors run cool. It runs fine with no load if hooked
directly to the ac adapter. When hooked through the wire leads coming
off the control board it slows down and stops whether it is no load or
load.

Homer J Simpson November 15th 06 04:04 AM

Small DC motor question

"cool jer" wrote in message
oups.com...

No, all three motors run cool. It runs fine with no load if hooked
directly to the ac adapter. When hooked through the wire leads coming
off the control board it slows down and stops whether it is no load or
load.

Checked the voltage under load?

[email protected] November 15th 06 04:48 AM

Small DC motor question

On 14 Nov 2006 19:48:04 -0800, "cool jer"
wrote:

Homer J Simpson wrote:
"cool jer" wrote in message
ups.com...

What I am having trouble with is
keeping the motor running. After a minute or so the motor quits, when I
disconnect the motor and wait a minute or so and re-connect it, it runs
again for another 15 seconds.

Is it getting hot? How does it run with no load?

No, all three motors run cool. It runs fine with no load if hooked
directly to the ac adapter. When hooked through the wire leads coming
off the control board it slows down and stops whether it is no load or
load.

Maybe that control board is defective. Try connecting an LED in place
of the motor,

James Sweet November 15th 06 08:44 AM

Small DC motor question

cool jer wrote:
[...]

How does it sense the end of travel to reverse? I suspect a problem with
the sensors or board, it's gotta be something really simple, the motor
is obviously fine.

[email protected] November 15th 06 06:19 PM

Small DC motor question

cool jer wrote:

[...]

its the control board, cant be anything else.

NT