DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tascam 414mkII 4 track playback problem (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/182619-tascam-414mkii-4-track-playback-problem.html)

[email protected] November 14th 06 03:36 PM

Tascam 414mkII 4 track playback problem

I've had this 4 track for about a year, and suddenly last night track
one ceased playing- at first I thought it just wasn't recording, but I
get an input signal fine, it just gives a rumbling sound when the tape
source is selected, and won't play back previously recorded tracks
either. Could this be as simple as demagnetizing the heads; would that
cause such a sudden disappearance on just one track? Or is it more
likely a mechanical problem, with the head itself or even the input
selection switch? I did the easy thing and cleaned the heads, to no
avail. Any advice is greatly appreciated before I start poking around
in there.

[email protected] November 14th 06 05:41 PM

wrote:

I've had this 4 track for about a year, and suddenly last night track
one ceased playing- at first I thought it just wasn't recording, but I
get an input signal fine, it just gives a rumbling sound when the tape
source is selected, and won't play back previously recorded tracks
either. Could this be as simple as demagnetizing the heads; would that
cause such a sudden disappearance on just one track? Or is it more
likely a mechanical problem, with the head itself or even the input
selection switch? I did the easy thing and cleaned the heads, to no
avail. Any advice is greatly appreciated before I start poking around
in there.

may be a wire come off a head.

NT

[email protected] November 21st 06 01:28 PM

Tascam 414mkII 4 track playback problem

I've had this 4 track for about a year, and suddenly last night track
one ceased playing- at first I thought it just wasn't recording, but I
get an input signal fine, it just gives a rumbling sound when the tape
source is selected, and won't play back previously recorded tracks
either. Could this be as simple as demagnetizing the heads; would that
cause such a sudden disappearance on just one track? Or is it more
likely a mechanical problem, with the head itself or even the input
selection switch? I did the easy thing and cleaned the heads, to no
avail. Any advice is greatly appreciated before I start poking around
in there.

may be a wire come off a head.

NT

That's exactly what it was. Thanks!