Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Problems soldering 2.1 mm DC line socket

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2.1 mm DC line socket from Maplin (part no. JK11M)
so I could power a project using a plug-in power adaptor (wall wart).
Soldering a lead to the outer coaxial contact was no problem, but when
I tried to solder a lead to the inner contact, the plastic insulation
melted!

I'm not a novice to soldering and I wasn't using an inappropriately
large iron. The iron I was using is an Antex rated at 18 watts,
although it isn't a regulated iron. I didn't touch the plastic
insulation with the iron. The joint clearly didn't get hot enough to
melt the solder, so I reckon the plastic must have melted at less than
180 deg. C.

The Maplin socket design is bad in two ways. Firstly the insulator is
made from a thermoplastic, and secondly the solder bucket for the inner
contact is right next to the plastic insulator.

So I have a few questions. Are all 2.1 mm line sockets like this or are
there better designs out there? If there are better ones available,
where can I get one from? And how are you supposed to solder these
sockets with thermoplastic insulators?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris Tidy

rcd socket placement/spur James UK diy 2 August 18th 06 11:55 AM
Furnace fuel oil pump return line, install or not? [email protected] Home Repair 3 September 29th 05 02:36 AM
Phone Line Problem - Plea barry martin Home Repair 1 July 3rd 04 03:09 PM
Telephone Line Problems barry martin Home Repair 1 March 7th 04 03:00 AM
Question regarding adding an extra socket to the ring main Fiona Reid UK diy 10 September 3rd 03 04:45 PM