DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   The RCA CTC 185 chassis...dead! (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/180853-rca-ctc-185-chassis-dead.html)

Dani October 29th 06 05:18 PM

The RCA CTC 185 chassis...dead!

Has anyone got these 25, & 27" chassis to work, & stay working after
they blow up for the first time? The ones I have seen, keep blowing up,

even after replacing the flyback, diodes in the SMPS, & totally
rebuilding
the SMPS. Got any tips? Thanks, Dani.

Randy October 29th 06 06:23 PM

The RCA CTC 185 chassis...dead!

Dani, not sure if you or anyone else here is aware of a great repair tip
database called www.repairworld.com it's a pay service but VERY reasonable.
Saved me many times.
And has payed for itself over and again.

oups.com...

Charlie East October 30th 06 01:24 AM

The RCA CTC 185 chassis...dead!

Is this one that needs the H drive transformer and the coil in the base
circuit to H out resoldered?
"Randy" wrote in message
Dani, not sure if you or anyone else here is aware of a great repair tip
database called www.repairworld.com it's a pay service but VERY

reasonable.
Saved me many times.
And has payed for itself over and again.

oups.com...

Jeff, WB8NHV October 30th 06 03:43 AM

The RCA CTC 185 chassis...dead!

"Randy" wrote in message
Dani, not sure if you or anyone else here is aware of a great repair tip
database called www.repairworld.com it's a pay service but VERY

reasonable.
Saved me many times.
And has payed for itself over and again.

"Dani" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone got these 25, & 27" chassis to work, & stay working after
they blow up for the first time? The ones I have seen, keep blowing up,

even after replacing the flyback, diodes in the SMPS, & totally
rebuilding
the SMPS. Got any tips? Thanks, Dani.

I have the 19" version of the CTC185. Only had one problem with it
since I purchased it new almost seven years ago--the RF port snapped
off the tuner PCB. The tech who repaired the set (in my home)
resoldered the ground points around the tuner as well, which were a
major source of trouble in all RCA (Thomson) televisions with on-board
tuners. After the repair, however, my set has worked flawlessly on
cable the last six years or so (I had the repair done only a couple of
months after purchasing the set).

Why would the large-screen sets (25-27") using the same chassis as my
19" TV have so much more trouble with other things besides the tuner,
such as the flyback and power supply? I have a friend who owns an RCA
TV with a 25" CRT; he has apparently had no problems with it in perhaps
five years, despite the TV having fallen off a table a couple of years
ago and having been moved some 15 miles about a year and a half ago. I
don't know, however, if his TV has the CTC 185 chassis or not. It may
not (probably doesn't), considering his has the Guide Plus+ on-screen
program guide; my CTC185 doesn't have it either.

The Guide Plus+ feature seemed to me at its introduction, and still
seems to me today, to have been a feature included only in high-end
RCA/Thomson TVs; I don't think it lasted all that long, however, as I
haven't seen it in any of RCA's new sets, either its SDTV models or any
of its remaining flat-tube CRT sets and certainly not in recent RCA
high-definition FPs. Was Guide Plus+ just a glitzy flash-in-the-pan
feature RCA included in their sets just as a selling point for a couple
of model years? I would think so, since most digital cable services
such as Time Warner, et al. now include an on-screen program guide and
a flip bar (in their cable boxes; I don't know if this is available
with the company's HD service which connects directly to a HD FP set)
that shows the name and channel number of the station you are watching,
and a listing of channels and programs by time, channel, etc. With a
feature like this already available in the cable box, there is no need
for an on-screen channel guide in the TV itself.

Jeff Strieble, WB8NHV (email addy not shown to deter spammers)
Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Jason D. October 31st 06 09:57 PM

The RCA CTC 185 chassis...dead!

On 29 Oct 2006 09:18:56 -0800, "Dani" wrote:

Has anyone got these 25, & 27" chassis to work, & stay working after
they blow up for the first time? The ones I have seen, keep blowing up,

even after replacing the flyback, diodes in the SMPS, & totally
rebuilding
the SMPS. Got any tips? Thanks, Dani.

Watch out, some had bad coil. The one with ferrite core in a bobbin,
fitz wire winding. The one with 4 pins upright (snap in). Not sure
if it is NLA already.

Also, check EVERYTHING in the regulator chopper, diodes, caps, coils
before powering up again. I have done several CTC185.

Oh yes, there is few that had glue on the coil for the horizontal
driver circuit.

Cheers, Wizard