DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   HP Scanner help (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/180543-re-hp-scanner-help.html)

Eeyore October 26th 06 06:22 PM

HP Scanner help

Oppie wrote:

Oh Crud! I snagged the power cord of my HP scanjet 3300 scanner yesterday
and it fell on the floor. The lamp comes on and the motor will move the
carriage. Nothing appears to be out of place or visably broken but it will
not complete the calibration prior to scaning and comes back with an error
2117.

I opened it all up and again, nothing appears to be out of wack. The lens
and mirrors are all sitting properly. The home flag on the underside of the
top cover (used to get home position on carriage) is intact as is the
white/black reference strips just rearward of the document window.

Anybody have some clues on how to trobleshoot past this point. I tried HP
support [being ever hopeful] and all they could tell me was things that I
already found in the FAQ or to 'download new software'. None of it was
useful. I'm hoping that there may be some sort of diagnostic available.

Copied to sci.electronics.repair

Graham

Charles Schuler October 26th 06 10:39 PM

HP Scanner help

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Oppie wrote:

[...]

My out of warranty HP scanner died on its own a while back, so having little
to lose I opened it up and found an IC in a socket. I wedged it out and
reinserted it and it has worked ever since!

I doubt that you will be so lucky, but what the heck!

Oppie October 30th 06 01:37 AM

HP Scanner help

wrote in message
ups.com...
freecycle

It may come to that but I'm a hopeless optimist about trying to fix things
myself. Even an abject failure is a learning opportunity to understand how
these things work. I'm an engineer and any tidbit I can pick up in repairing
may serve well in the future.