DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   UPDATE: CD Rom Drive and Floppy Disk Drive, Same Type of Problem at the Same Time!!! (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/176443-update-cd-rom-drive-floppy-disk-drive-same-type-problem-same-time.html)

Brad September 19th 06 01:27 PM

UPDATE: CD Rom Drive and Floppy Disk Drive, Same Type of Problem at the Same Time!!!

Hi,

Here is more information I forgot to mention:

This laptop had no trouble reading the "burned" CDs before this
trouble started. Note: I often used the CD drive to read a particular
"burned" CD. Now, it has trouble reading that CD. Note: Originally
my laptop before I sold it to my cousin in June.

Floppy drive problem, which started at the same time as the CD
drive problem. There is an on board floppy drive controller, to the
best of my knowledge. I have tried the floppy boot disk for this
laptop, which always worked before.

Brad

"Brad" wrote:
Hi,

Note: I cleaned both drives, floppy & CD, (Compaq Presario 1060 laptop
yr 1997) but problem remains. I used a "lab" type of power supply as
substitute for latpop's external power supply. Also, see original post below.

More tests made since my original post exposed something very interesting.
I used Compaq's diagnostic software for this model laptop, which I transferred
using "PC Link" since floppy drive has trouble reading disks. Testing CD rom
drive, I placed a commercial (not home "burned") CD (AOK!). In fact, the CD
drive can easily read any of the commercial CDs I tried, but it can NOT read
a single home "burned" CD. Other computers can easily read the "burned" CDs.
Commercial made CDs use a different process compared to home 'burning".
Apparently the commercial CD's have "stronger impressions"?

Sometimes, a floppy disk can be read in part, then "hangs". Note: There
is no "Abort, Retry...." message as you normally see when you have a
faulty disk or no floppy disk in the drive. Writing to a floppy sometimes
looks like something is being written, but checking disk on another computer,
nothing is there.

I searched the web (HP/Compaq doesn't have it) for a schematic source (no
luck). I suspect a faulty voltage regular (common to both drives) is "under
powering" those drives? Note: No problem with the HD. If you have a better
idea, please let me know

Thanks in advance, Brad

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:29:05 GMT, (Brad) wrote:

My cousin asked me to repair his Compaq Presario 1060 laptop (Windows 95)
which developed two problems at the same time!!!

One of the two problems has to do with the floppy disk drive which
suddenly has trouble reading floppy disks. The other problem (started around
the same time as the floppy drive problem) has to do with the CD rom drive.
That too has trouble reading CD rom files!!! Note: Using it's external power
supply, which I had tested under load (AOK), the problems still exist.
Note: This laptop was not damaged by a storm.

The hard disk drive works just fine. Is there something that could have
effected both the floppy drive and the CD rom drive, but not effect the HDD?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.