Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Winscope has anyone used it?

I don't have an oscope that works, but I was wondering if anyone has used
Winscope. Actually I have a TDS210 that doesn't work and would like to check
the crystals and was wondering if this software would suffice. I checked the
power supply voltages with my DMM and all of the voltages check out, but I
definately need a scope to check some of the other stuff. If anyone knows of
any other software besides this I would be happy to know about it too.

Thanks
Shane

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"gorehound" wrote in message

I don't have an oscope that works, but I was wondering if anyone has used
Winscope. Actually I have a TDS210 that doesn't work and would like to
check the crystals and was wondering if this software would suffice. I
checked the power supply voltages with my DMM and all of the voltages
check out, but I definately need a scope to check some of the other stuff.
If anyone knows of any other software besides this I would be happy to
know about it too.

What sort of signal frequencies? AFAIK, Winscope etc don't go much over 2
Mhz but maybe that was then.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson spake thus:

"gorehound" wrote in message

I don't have an oscope that works, but I was wondering if anyone has used
Winscope. Actually I have a TDS210 that doesn't work and would like to
check the crystals and was wondering if this software would suffice. I
checked the power supply voltages with my DMM and all of the voltages
check out, but I definately need a scope to check some of the other stuff.
If anyone knows of any other software besides this I would be happy to
know about it too.

What sort of signal frequencies? AFAIK, Winscope etc don't go much over 2
Mhz but maybe that was then.

Since Winscope uses the sound card, you'd be limited by the ADC's upper
frequence limit, no?

--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli peace activist
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery09022006.html)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

gorehound wrote:

I don't have an oscope that works, but I was wondering if anyone has used
Winscope. Actually I have a TDS210 that doesn't work and would like to check
the crystals and was wondering if this software would suffice. I checked the
power supply voltages with my DMM and all of the voltages check out, but I
definately need a scope to check some of the other stuff. If anyone knows of
any other software besides this I would be happy to know about it too.

Thanks
Shane

Yes it works. OSC251 by Konstantin Zeldovich is more reliable imho.
These software scopes are well featured but basic specced, the
soundcard maxes out at around 20kHz and theres no dc path.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
gorehound wrote:

I don't have an oscope that works, but I was wondering if anyone has used
Winscope. Actually I have a TDS210 that doesn't work and would like to check
the crystals and was wondering if this software would suffice. I checked the
power supply voltages with my DMM and all of the voltages check out, but I
definately need a scope to check some of the other stuff. If anyone knows of
any other software besides this I would be happy to know about it too.

Thanks
Shane

Yes it works. OSC251 by Konstantin Zeldovich is more reliable imho.
These software scopes are well featured but basic specced, the
soundcard maxes out at around 20kHz and theres no dc path.

NT

Sound card 'scope software is grossly rudimentary. The vertical axis can't be
calibrated unless you have a known AC voltage reference available, that has
outputs at the levels that you're interested in measuring. As has been pointed
out, the vertical bandwidth is severely limited by the bandwidth of your sound
card. Bear in mind that the sound card uses a sampling algorithm to convert the
input signal into a digital response pattern. If you're looking at anything
close to a square wave, be prepared for severe distortion when viewing the
signal. And there is no DC coupling available unless the sound card is DC
coupled, which is highly unlikely.
Unless the crystals that you want to check are in the audio region, forget about
software 'scopes. Useless for that.
That's not to say that they serve no purpose at all... they can be very useful
when analyzing low-level audio. Good software can turn your PC into an
inexpensive audio spectrum analyzer, frequency response test set, etc. Just be
aware of the limitations.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DaveM wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
gorehound wrote:

[...]

easy enough to hook 2 Rs onto a transformer, along with a multimeter.
No point trying to get these soundcard scopes 1% accurate.

As has been pointed
out, the vertical bandwidth is severely limited by the bandwidth of your sound
card. Bear in mind that the sound card uses a sampling algorithm to convert the
input signal into a digital response pattern. If you're looking at anything
close to a square wave, be prepared for severe distortion when viewing the
signal.

you mean due to loss of frequencies above 20kHz? Or something else.

Despite their patchy tech specs they can be handy things. Their other
issue is that soundcards have no input protection, so its a good idea
to use a buffer if you want to use one of these scopes on an ongoing
basis.

NT