Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Default Purpose of device???

I have a Zenith SR2568 TV that has a device near where the power cord
connects to the PWB. It is thin (1/4"), and is something like 1 1/2h x
2 inches wide. It appears to contain brass inside the plastic cover
with gaps of about 1/8 inch, each terminal connecting to line, neutral,
and chassis ground. From what I see, it looks like it might be a spark
gap of sorts for line surges since it is connected to the inputs.

Is that what this is, and is it REALLY effective?? I would think the
voltage on the line would be so great everything would be destroyed by
the time the gap was crossed? Thanks.

I do not currently have any problems with the set, just curious.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I`m not sure but think that is an attempt at a lightning arrestor .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken wrote:

I have a Zenith SR2568 TV that has a device near where the power cord
connects to the PWB. It is thin (1/4"), and is something like 1 1/2h x
2 inches wide. It appears to contain brass inside the plastic cover
with gaps of about 1/8 inch, each terminal connecting to line, neutral,
and chassis ground. From what I see, it looks like it might be a spark
gap of sorts for line surges since it is connected to the inputs.

Is that what this is, and is it REALLY effective?? I would think the
voltage on the line would be so great everything would be destroyed by
the time the gap was crossed? Thanks.

I do not currently have any problems with the set, just curious.

a pic would help, the above is too ambiguous

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken" wrote in message

Sorry, I can't help with a picture. From where it is at, I think Ken G.
is correct. I just did not think such a spark gap in the A/C power input
would do much to protect the rest of the TV. My purpose was to see if
someone who regularly worked on TV's was familiar with such a device.

If it had capacitors inside it would be less unusual.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have seen many of those . As i remember it has a plastic cover with
slots to see into it . I suppose it may stop some lightning strikes but
not all . I have seen several lightning hit tv sets and in some it dont
stop for no one .. fried foils all over the place and maybe an ic chip
or two blown its top . Idaho has some pretty good lightning storms .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Ken G. wrote:
I have seen many of those . As i remember it has a plastic cover with
slots to see into it . I suppose it may stop some lightning strikes but
not all . I have seen several lightning hit tv sets and in some it dont
stop for no one .. fried foils all over the place and maybe an ic chip
or two blown its top . Idaho has some pretty good lightning storms .

That sounds exactly like what I was trying to describe. I was
surprised that it wasn't completely covered somehow, even though it DOES
say HOT around the device and it is connected to line voltage.

GFCI device Vince Home Repair 14 December 9th 05 03:24 AM
building a (small) vacuum chamber-type device bschwand Metalworking 24 December 6th 05 02:35 AM
device for taking down cuting measurments [email protected] Woodworking 17 November 2nd 05 03:06 AM
Interesting spraying device Brian Mahaney Woodworking 9 September 13th 05 07:37 PM
Hand-held "Water Detector" device for cinderblock wall jay Home Repair 6 May 12th 05 07:03 PM