Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Mits VS-60801

Hi;

No video. Menu and OSD fine. During menu time the PIP window is
distorted but shows something, out of sync with three vertical green
bars. Well at first of course I was thinking the PIP module, but I ran
into a little problem with that theory. Bossman (who used to be a real
technician in the old days) and I had an interewsting discussion. He
said "don't look for elephants first, look for fleas".

So I go into the menu to see if the thing is in the "AV network" mode,
figuring the PIP is just a tertiary problem. It was not indicating that
it was, but there is a fly or flea in the ointment, whichever. The
input selector only allows selection of antenna A or B, no video
inputs. Well, looking for fleas I connected the tuner out to video 1
and lo and behold there is normal video, actually a pretty decent
picture.

When in the setup menu it clearly displays the AV network choices, off,
basic and active. I have tried them all with no change, it still only
selects antenna A or B. In the old days I might consider offering to do
a cheap repair and just hook it up so it works, but with DVDs and more
sources coming along without RF modulators it won't work.

My main question is, is there any possibility in this set that it is
indeed the PIP module. The video path is of course convoluted. But can
it change the data ? Can it prevent selection of a mode like when it
doesn't see a valid input ? I had a Samsung recently that refused to
select the TV mode after playing a DVD if there was no signal. Could it
be something like this. Is it worth my time to fix the PIP ? Believe me
we don't care about the PIP, this is a stock set and we don't guarantee
such features sometimes, especially on older units. So if the pip can
be bypassed we would do it.

Thing is, how can the PIP module affect the options in the input select
?

We do have the option of selling it with an AV reciever, which would
provide the new input selection, but then need the remote for it.

Or is there something in the service menu ? I believe I have the table
from Mits with all the service menu codes, is there possibly some
option flag enabled or disabled ? Did they build anything with this
chipset that was a monitor only ? Like without tuners ? Also I did
check the locking functions, nothing is locked as far as I can see, or
is there some other part of the menus I need to find. I looked at the
menus for a good ½ hour. This was the end of the day so I haven't been
in the service menus as of yet.

I am totally unfamiliar with this set, but not with Mitsubishis. I had
never seen this model before and was surpised to see an older type
chassis in a five digit Mits. It appears to be older than the VS-XX43,
44 and 45 series. I think it says it was built in 98, the XX4X series
was later than that no ?

Any info on this beast is appreciated. I have never seen one before.

JURB

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Make sure that SS attached is set to ON in the Option menu.

Verify clock and data to the SS module and bet on that if they are present.

Leonard

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It has removed 6885 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks Len, that's the first thing I'll do.

Do you think you have parts for this beast ? Being eight years old
there are probably alot of things NLA.

JURB

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I just realized this is a V14 chassis. That being the case before you do
any troubleshooting you need to check ALL the polar electrolytics. You WILL
find at least 2 dozen bad ones. You are PITW trying to troubleshoot these
without going through the caps first.

Most of the parts to fix these have been available. I suspect the signal
board is NLA, but I have never had one that I could not fix.

Leonard

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Len, that's the first thing I'll do.

Do you think you have parts for this beast ? Being eight years old
there are probably alot of things NLA.

JURB

It has removed 6933 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

video level problem? SA8300HD, YAM RXV1200, Mits WS-55809 Leonard Caillouet Electronics Repair 10 January 25th 06 12:27 AM
Mits CS-35505 IC AN5306 pinout Electronics Repair 1 January 19th 06 05:36 PM
Mits WS-55859 Shutdown? Bob Loblaw Electronics Repair 4 January 4th 06 06:01 PM
Mits Remote Asimov Electronics Repair 3 December 2nd 05 12:42 AM
Mits CS-3535R PIP board pinouts - big pip board Electronics Repair 1 March 17th 04 07:37 PM