Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

Default PC speaker hum

Neil Green wrote:

"Eeyore"

wrote in message

Neil Green wrote:

This may be the wrong group but I figure
electronics
is kinda universal, and the good people here have
helped me before.
I have a constant high pitched hum coming from the
internal PC speaker, the one connected to the
motherboard.
The connector is oriented correctly.
At first it was intermittent but now is constant,
so
I've pulled the lead off to disable the speaker.
The PC is running perfectly, and I can't find any
information on this problem with Google, except
that
apparently a batch of HP computers (which this one
isn't) apparently had a similar problem caused by a
leaky rectifier on the motherboard.
Does anyone have any ideas?

See if there's a group for HP PCs ?

This cerainly isn't an audio question.

Graham

It's not a HP, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong
group but I figured that hum from a speaker is audio.
I know this group is mainly concerned with hi-fi stuff
but I don't know where else to ask.

sci.electronics.repair and sci.electronics.basics come to mind.

Please do crosspost and don't multipost btw.

Sod it, I'll do it myself.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

Neil Green wrote:

This may be the wrong group but I figure
electronics
is kinda universal, and the good people here have
helped me before.
I have a constant high pitched hum coming from the
internal PC speaker, the one connected to the
motherboard.
The connector is oriented correctly.
At first it was intermittent but now is constant,
so
I've pulled the lead off to disable the speaker.
The PC is running perfectly, and I can't find any
information on this problem with Google, except
that
apparently a batch of HP computers (which this one
isn't) apparently had a similar problem caused by a
leaky rectifier on the motherboard.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Most common cause is the audio ground connection coming adrift in the
connecting lead/plugs/sockets, in the lead from pc to speakers. A
multimeter will check this lead. Much less common is a bad suppply
electrolytic.

NT

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 02:28:12 -0400, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

I believe he is speaking abou the internal pc speaker not the sound card and
external speakers.

What, that little buzzer that does the "beep" when you start up? Sure,
throw it away.