Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Touch switch shutdown/start problems

Both my computer and a printer have problems with the start/stop touch
switch. The computer intermittantly shutsdown and is difficult to
restart. The printer spontaneously restarts after shutdown. After
shutdown neither will start again immediately after the touch switch is
pressed. I assume a capacitance effect is causing the problem but don't
really know. Can anyone enlighten me with a typical circuit for touch
on/off switches and advise whether my problems are likely to be
repairable (short of major surgery or board replacement). With regard
to the computer (ATX power supply) is the problem more likely to be
with the motherboard or power supply. Can one can swap an AT supply for
the ATX as a work around or test?

Many thanks in anticupation of your guidance .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Both my computer and a printer have problems with the start/stop touch
switch. The computer intermittantly shutsdown and is difficult to
restart. The printer spontaneously restarts after shutdown. After
shutdown neither will start again immediately after the touch switch is
pressed. I assume a capacitance effect is causing the problem but don't
really know. Can anyone enlighten me with a typical circuit for touch
on/off switches and advise whether my problems are likely to be
repairable (short of major surgery or board replacement). With regard
to the computer (ATX power supply) is the problem more likely to be
with the motherboard or power supply. Can one can swap an AT supply for
the ATX as a work around or test?

Many thanks in anticupation of your guidance .

No you cant swap an AT for an ATX. They have different connectors so
you would need an atx connector so you might as well get a cheap atx
power supply and test with that. I'm confused on the touch switch. Is
it a buttor or a flat surface that doesn't move when you touch it?
anyway, i would try disconnecting it first. see if when it is
disconnected from the motherboard the computer shuts off
intermittantly. If so then it is not a switch problem. I would not be
surprised if this is a power supply problem. Check the atx connector
for chared areas. I've had two computer give me similar problems
because the power connector was burning.