Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default PDA with a bad smell...

I just got this real nice used PDA from ebay and I keep smelling this
weird odor I cannot discribe on it... Would anyone know how I could get
rid of the smell without damaging the pda?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just got this real nice used PDA from ebay and I keep smelling this
weird odor I cannot discribe on it... Would anyone know how I could get
rid of the smell without damaging the pda?

Assuming the smell is from leaking electrolyte, from soon to be deceased
electrolytic and consequential track corrosion , it won't be working much
longer.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Could be a faulty battery.
Li-Ion batteries that fail emit some strange smell, and shorty after
that, explode and set fire to whatever is close.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Take it apart and sniff-trace where the smell comes from.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Simoc wrote in message
ups.com...
Take it apart and sniff-trace where the smell comes from.

If its leaking electrolyte its doing damage whether the unit is switched on
or off.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:
Yes. Electrolyte all over the board = Corrosion of the traces

In which case it smells very much like fish.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message
Michael Kennedy wrote:
Yes. Electrolyte all over the board = Corrosion of the traces

In which case it smells very much like fish.

Maybe it was shoplifted.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I was planning on buying a new battery I'm hoping that is the case if
not I'm going to throw up every time I smell this foul odor.

It's a Sony Clie Peg - T615C Sliver I read on the web this PDA was
discontinued beacuse it kept on breaking.

If it was shoplifted why would it smell so bad?

Michael Kennedy wrote:
Yes. Electrolyte all over the board = Corrosion of the traces

In which case it smells very much like fish.

Maybe it was shoplifted.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Yes. Electrolyte all over the board = Corrosion of the traces

In which case it smells very much like fish.

Maybe it was shoplifted.

does it smell of tobacco?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 22 Aug 2006 16:09:30 -0700, "davidbowiefan"
wrote:

BTW it doesn't smell like fish and the battery isn't leaking, it's in
good shape just smells real bad.

A friend of mine "lost" a PDA after his cat mistook it for the
litterbox.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Let me guess, you bought at a police auction - it was found on a corpse?

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Yes. Electrolyte all over the board = Corrosion of the traces

In which case it smells very much like fish.

Maybe it was shoplifted.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:
Let me guess, you bought at a police auction - it was found on a corpse?

Damn...I had that exact thought and was going to post it when I finished
the reading the thread.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

I just got this real nice used PDA from ebay and I keep smelling this
weird odor I cannot discribe on it... Would anyone know how I could get
rid of the smell without damaging the pda?

Does it smell like dog urine?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jakdedert" wrote in message
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:
Let me guess, you bought at a police auction - it was found on a corpse?

Damn...I had that exact thought and was going to post it when I finished
the reading the thread.

jak

That'd be way worse than "fish". Doubt a PDA would have part-out value like
a Corvette.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jakdedert wrote:
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:
Let me guess, you bought at a police auction - it was found on a corpse?

Damn...I had that exact thought and was going to post it when I finished
the reading the thread.

jak

LOL no, and no I didn't buy it from a police auction I thought I said
in my first post I bought it off ebay.

I can't really think up what it smells like to put it in words. I guess
you could say it smells like puke, but then when I got it I was sorta
sick at the time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"davidbowiefan" wrote in message
oups.com...

LOL no, and no I didn't buy it from a police auction I thought I said
in my first post I bought it off ebay.

I can't really think up what it smells like to put it in words. I guess
you could say it smells like puke, but then when I got it I was sorta
sick at the time.

If so burning plastic?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"davidbowiefan" wrote in message
oups.com...

err... I wouldn't know what dog urine smells like I ussually don't
smell those type of things.

You haven't lived much then.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
"davidbowiefan" wrote in message
oups.com...

LOL no, and no I didn't buy it from a police auction I thought I said
in my first post I bought it off ebay.

I can't really think up what it smells like to put it in words. I guess
you could say it smells like puke, but then when I got it I was sorta
sick at the time.

If so burning plastic?

maybe it is where she was hiding it when she shoplifted it