DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   No Color on My Sony trinitron tv (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/168871-no-color-my-sony-trinitron-tv.html)

[email protected] July 11th 06 03:29 PM

No Color on My Sony trinitron tv

Hello there,

I'm hoping you guys can help me with my tv query,

I just bought a second hand sony Trinitron tv and when I brought it
back home the color had gone and it only showed perfect black and white
images.

from various threads from the net, it seems the fault could be with the
chroma chip/circuit.

Now can you please tell me where i can find such part inside my tv? The
idea is to prod around the chroma chip with an insulated tool to see if
I can make the color come and go.

Any other suggestions I would be grateful for. Bytheway the teletext
seems to have color

cheers,

from London,

Alfredo

Jussi Peltola July 11th 06 04:46 PM

wrote:
Hello there,

I'm hoping you guys can help me with my tv query,

I just bought a second hand sony Trinitron tv and when I brought it
back home the color had gone and it only showed perfect black and white
images.

from various threads from the net, it seems the fault could be with the
chroma chip/circuit.

Now can you please tell me where i can find such part inside my tv? The
idea is to prod around the chroma chip with an insulated tool to see if
I can make the color come and go.

Any other suggestions I would be grateful for. Bytheway the teletext
seems to have color

cheers,

from London,

Alfredo

Make sure the color setting in the menu is not the culprit. It does not
affect the teletext.
Try inputting something through the SCART, does it make any difference?

[email protected] July 12th 06 12:43 PM

wrote:
Jussi Peltola wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I tried everything possible including using the scart, the next thing
would be to get inside the tv, im looking through some service manuel
to familarize myself before I start touching anything

How do I recognize the chroma chip?

cheers,

-A

Deke July 14th 06 03:58 AM

No Color on My Sony trinitron tv

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Jussi Peltola wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The set is old, AND its a sony. Use it as a boat anchor.

Gerard Bok July 15th 06 11:53 AM

No Color on My Sony trinitron tv

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:58:23 -0500, "Deke" no
wrote:

I just bought a second hand sony Trinitron tv and when I brought it
back home the color had gone and it only showed perfect black and

white
images.

from various threads from the net, it seems the fault could be with

the
chroma chip/circuit.

Now can you please tell me where i can find such part inside my tv?

The
idea is to prod around the chroma chip with an insulated tool to see

if
I can make the color come and go.

Any other suggestions I would be grateful for. Bytheway the teletext
seems to have color

cheers,

from London,

Alfredo

How do I recognize the chroma chip?

Sorry, I missed the start of this thread.

If 'London' means: London UK, you probably have a PAL set.
Color (or is it colour :-) on teletext and black and white
pictures is usually very simple:
There is a 4.43 MHz or 8.86 MHz crystal on the board, next to a
trimmer. The tuning of that trimmer probably has gone bad.
(The chroma chip is the chip closest to that crystal. But who
cares :-)

Find the region for the trimmer that shows color. And leave the
trimmer at the center of that region.

If you can't get color on any trimmer setting, replace the
trimmer by a ceramic capacitor; 18 pf comes to mind :-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok