Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default BYM56E - Any kind soul...

.... might know of a modern (or more importantly available) equivalent?
I can't find one in my books. It's a 3.5A controlled avalanche
rectifier diode, the 'controlled avalanche' bit is quite important as
they are from a switcher PSU.

Jim
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Attfield wrote:
... might know of a modern (or more importantly available) equivalent?
I can't find one in my books. It's a 3.5A controlled avalanche
rectifier diode, the 'controlled avalanche' bit is quite important as
they are from a switcher PSU.

Jim

Well, equally important is the voltage it's supposed to clamp. The only
one that comes to mind is an NTE570 which is used for 130 vdc. It's
designed to crater at 180 volts. If you know the voltage, you could use
a zener diode to achieve the same results if you can find one with that
current rating.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 13:18:50 +0100, Jim Attfield
jamesatattfielddotcodotuk@ wrote:

... might know of a modern (or more importantly available) equivalent?
I can't find one in my books. It's a 3.5A controlled avalanche
rectifier diode, the 'controlled avalanche' bit is quite important as
they are from a switcher PSU.

Jim

The data sheet indicates trr=3uS for the now discontinued BYM56E
which makes it a standard recovery type (ie. not fast or super-fast),
so there are a few possible types I would try.

I assume the PSU is an off-line 230Vac SMPS for use in the UK?

I doubt that the 3.5A Ifav rating is strictly needed and you could get
by with one specified at 3A such as the BYW86 (probably not readily
available)
http://www.vishay.com/docs/86051/86051.pdf

Also, I don't think the 1000V rating is strictly necessary for a
230Vac input and you could get by safely with 800V types. The old
venerable 1N5627 has been used successfully in off-line switchers and
would be readily available.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 13:18:50 +0100, Jim Attfield
jamesatattfielddotcodotuk@ put finger to keyboard and composed:

... might know of a modern (or more importantly available) equivalent?
I can't find one in my books. It's a 3.5A controlled avalanche
rectifier diode, the 'controlled avalanche' bit is quite important as
they are from a switcher PSU.

Jim

BYW96E is a 1000V 3A 300ns controlled avalanche diode. It is available
for AU$0.89 in Australia.

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Many many thanks...

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 13:18:50 +0100, Jim Attfield
jamesatattfielddotcodotuk@ wrote:

... might know of a modern (or more importantly available) equivalent?

--- snip! ---

.... to all those kind souls who took the time to respond. That has
given me some options.

Jim