Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TV sound problem

Hi, I recently purchased a samsung TV (model WS32Z10) with built in
DVR. I have noticed that when watching tv every 25 seconds the sound
distorts slightly as if it were not tuned into the channel correctly.
This distortion lasts for precisely 7 seconds and then for 25 seconds
the sound is perfect again. This 25 second -7 second cycle repeats
indefinitely. The picture is perfect and is not affected at all.

The sound fault can also be heard with headphones, however, it is not
present (on headphones or speakers) if an external input (i.e.DVD etc)
is used. I assume the TV has two seperate tuners to facilitate the
picture in picture function and for timer recording using the DVR while
watching TV. When watching programs previously recorded by DVR on
timer record the sound is perfect, however, if the DVR is used to time
shift live TV the fault is present. I assume that rimer record uses
one tv tuner and timeshifting uses the other tuner??

I am guessing that the fault is located in the primary tuner somewhere?
I have no idea what could cause an intermittant fault that occurs with
such regularity (every 25 seconds).

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
James

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James wrote:
[...]

such regularity (every 25 seconds). Is there anything else electronic in the house that is only turned on (or turned off for that matter) when you are watching TV and not an external input?

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
James

First thing I would do is take it back if it is under warranty, as you
said it was a recent purchase. Does it have the problem on all
channels and not on any other inputs(besides DVD which you mentioned)?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for your post. Yes the fault is present on all channels and is
not related to reception or interference as I have tested the TV at
another location and the problem persisted. The fault is not present
using any external input (i.e. AV1, AV2, AV3 etc). Unfortunatley it is
not under warentee so I am left to fix the problem myself or pay to get
it fixed. As the fault is not present when using DVR on timer record I
assume it must be related to just one of the tuners (when timer record
is recording the fault can be heard when you view TV on the same or a
different channel during recording - I guess because the timer record
is using the second tuner at that time; as i explained earlier the
recording made during this scenario is fault free)? As any external
input and timer recorded DVR programs are unaffected I think it is fair
to exclude the amplifier circuit as a source for the problem, this is
also supported by the observation that the fault can be heard on
headphones.

Any ideas?
Cheers,
James

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James wrote:
[...]

Just a couple of options in my opinion. The problem is obviously in the
IF tank circuit and would require repair to use it like you are. The
other option would be to connect an external tuner(vcr, satellite,
digital cable etc) to one of the AV inputs and change channels with
that. Not really solving the problem but, could be a less expensive
option.

www.techdata-kicksass.net