DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   20 year old Sony KV-25XBR (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/166246-20-year-old-sony-kv-25xbr.html)

Armand June 20th 06 01:51 AM

20 year old Sony KV-25XBR

Hello all. I have a 20 year old set that was killer in it's day. Heck, it cost
me
a grand that long ago.

The problem that developed today is that the picture is well, shimmering
would be the best description. It affects the geometry and the color and both
kind of waver.

The question is whether or not it's worth repairing or to trash it. If I can fi
nd a
schematic, a friend of mine is pretty good at fixing TV's, if he has the time.
Any idea in general, what went south on this TV? Yesterday it still had a great
picture. Thanks!

Jim Land June 20th 06 02:44 AM

20 year old Sony KV-25XBR

(Armand) wrote in
:

Hello all. I have a 20 year old set that was killer in it's day.
Heck, it cost
me
a grand that long ago.

The problem that developed today is that the picture is well,
shimmering would be the best description. It affects the geometry and
the color and both kind of waver.

The question is whether or not it's worth repairing or to trash it.
If I can fi nd a
schematic, a friend of mine is pretty good at fixing TV's, if he has
the time. Any idea in general, what went south on this TV? Yesterday
it still had a great picture. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6059&category=
41519

http://fileshare.eshop.bg/chassis2mo..._model=KV25XBR

Remember, Google is your friend.

RP June 20th 06 05:46 AM

20 year old Sony KV-25XBR

Sounds like a simple degaussing coil thermister, I replace mine on my
KV2786R twice already.
It the little black box (not the relay) where the AC cord meets the main
board......has 3 pins.costs $2

Waving a soldering gun **NOT AN IRON (wile pulling the trigger) or tape head
de-magnetizer around the edges of the screen will temporarily "comb" it out
if the case "confirm"

Master Matt June 20th 06 09:27 AM

20 year old Sony KV-25XBR

trash it get a HDTV

Franc Zabkar June 20th 06 10:33 AM

20 year old Sony KV-25XBR

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:51:40 -0500, (Armand)
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Hello all. I have a 20 year old set that was killer in it's day. Heck, it cost
me
a grand that long ago.

The problem that developed today is that the picture is well, shimmering
would be the best description. It affects the geometry and the color and both
kind of waver.

The question is whether or not it's worth repairing or to trash it. If I can fi
nd a
schematic, a friend of mine is pretty good at fixing TV's, if he has the time.
Any idea in general, what went south on this TV? Yesterday it still had a great
picture. Thanks!

Does this set have a "H-stat"?

If so, this old post of mine may help:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...e=source&hl=en

- Franc Zabkar

Jerry G. June 20th 06 11:34 AM

20 year old Sony KV-25XBR

Start by replaceing the degaussing thermosistor.

I am sure that because of the age of the set, there must be many
capacitors that have become high in ESR. The CRT is most likely going
soft.

It is coming time to let the set bite the dust, and start shopping for
a new one. TV has changed a lot since that set was made.

Jerry G.
======

Inty XP June 20th 06 02:19 PM

20 year old Sony KV-25XBR

In data Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:27:35 +0200, Master Matt
ha scritto:

trash it get a HDTV

What an amazing reply.
Why?

--
Inty.Evolution
- per email normali e con immagini Jpeg

Inty XP June 20th 06 02:19 PM

20 year old Sony KV-25XBR

In data Tue, 20 Jun 2006 02:51:40 +0200, Armand
ha scritto:

Hello all. I have a 20 year old set that was killer in it's day. Heck,
it cost
me
a grand that long ago.

The problem that developed today is that the picture is well, shimmering
would be the best description. It affects the geometry and the color and
both
kind of waver.

The question is whether or not it's worth repairing or to trash it. If
I can fi
nd a
schematic, a friend of mine is pretty good at fixing TV's, if he has the
time.
Any idea in general, what went south on this TV? Yesterday it still had
a great
picture. Thanks!

This is a Sony, surely it worth the repair if the C.R.T. is in good shape.

Armand June 21st 06 03:15 AM

20 year old Sony KV-25XBR

In article ,
says...

(Armand) wrote in
:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...96059&category
=
41519

http://fileshare.eshop.bg/chassis2mo..._model=KV25XBR

Remember, Google is your friend.

Thanks Jim. For some reason I tried, but Google gurgled.

Armand June 21st 06 03:25 AM

20 year old Sony KV-25XBR

In article _4Llg.5094$Za5.3558@trnddc04,
says...

"Jim Land" wrote in message

Hello
all. I have a 20 year old set that was killer in it's day.
Heck, it cost
me
a grand that long ago.

The problem that developed today is that the picture is well,
shimmering would be the best description. It affects the geometry and
the color and both kind of waver.

The question is whether or not it's worth repairing or to trash it.
If I can fi nd a
schematic, a friend of mine is pretty good at fixing TV's, if he has
the time. Any idea in general, what went south on this TV? Yesterday
it still had a great picture. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6059&category=
41519

http://fileshare.eshop.bg/chassis2mo..._model=KV25XBR

Remember, Google is your friend.

RP: Funny you should say that, because it kinda looked like a magnetized
CRT except that it flutters. Usually, an affected CRT would look like a tie-dye
shirt.

If I find the part number, where can I order the thermistor? Thanks.

Armand June 21st 06 03:26 AM

20 year old Sony KV-25XBR

In article om,
says...

trash it get a HDTV

I have one in the family room. This is a second TV in the living room for the
kids when I'm watching HBO.

Armand June 21st 06 03:32 AM

20 year old Sony KV-25XBR

In article om,
says...

Start by replaceing the degaussing thermosistor.

I am sure that because of the age of the set, there must be many
capacitors that have become high in ESR. The CRT is most likely going
soft.

It is coming time to let the set bite the dust, and start shopping for
a new one. TV has changed a lot since that set was made.

Jerry G.
======

Actually, it's amazing that the picture is still quite good when it works and
was a killer in it's day. When I look back, it was actually worth the 1K price.
It was interesting to see the same TV used as a monitor on local stations
during news broadcasts back then.

Thanks for your response, Jerry. I'm sure the electrolytics have dried out by
now. I plan on checking for any bulging or leaking E-caps.
I get a chance to open it up,