DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Resucitating Silver loaded paint. (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/155887-resucitating-silver-loaded-paint.html)

n cook May 2nd 06 11:56 AM

Resucitating Silver loaded paint.

For the first time in 8 years or so I have use for a dab of conductive
paint.
About 8 years ago I asked a chemist mate if he recognised the smell of the
solvent in this phial of paint , I think he said something acetate - ethyl
acetate ?. He said he'd dig out a tiny quantity but both he and I forgot.
Anyway the paint although kept in a fridge is on the solid side of paste and
not paint.
Any ideas where I would find Ethyl Acetate in an ordinary product like nail
varnish remover, epoxy thinner or whatever?
Or any other ideas, as its like Coleman's mustard - made his fortune from
what was left on the side of the plate.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Jim Yanik May 2nd 06 03:56 PM

Resucitating Silver loaded paint.

"n cook" wrote in
:

For the first time in 8 years or so I have use for a dab of conductive
paint.
About 8 years ago I asked a chemist mate if he recognised the smell of
the solvent in this phial of paint , I think he said something acetate
- ethyl acetate ?. He said he'd dig out a tiny quantity but both he
and I forgot. Anyway the paint although kept in a fridge is on the
solid side of paste and not paint.
Any ideas where I would find Ethyl Acetate in an ordinary product like
nail varnish remover, epoxy thinner or whatever?
Or any other ideas, as its like Coleman's mustard - made his fortune
from what was left on the side of the plate.

try using a small amount of acetone.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik May 3rd 06 12:21 AM

Resucitating Silver loaded paint.

M.Joshi wrote in
:

Hi,

You can try using nail varnish remover (The clear type) - it worked for
me!

Which IIRC,is based on acetone,with some other stuff added.
But you can buy it in small amounts,and not have to buy a pint or more.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik Wrote:
"n cook" wrote in
:

David Nebenzahl May 3rd 06 12:33 AM

Resucitating Silver loaded paint.

M.Joshi spake thus:

You can try using nail varnish remover (The clear type) - it worked for
me!

That's acetone, as the previous poster suggested. (I second the emotion.)

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"

M.Joshi May 3rd 06 01:22 AM

Hi,

You can try using nail varnish remover (The clear type) - it worked for me!