DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   JVC DR-MV1SU VHS/DVD burner. (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/155295-jvc-dr-mv1su-vhs-dvd-burner.html)

David Farber April 27th 06 07:39 PM

JVC DR-MV1SU VHS/DVD burner.

This JVC DR-MV1SU combination VHS/DVD burner has been locking up when trying
to burn a disk. The DVD burner itself looks like it came right out of a PC.
It's got the four pin power supply cable and a 40 pin IDE cable going to it.
To make a long story short, how likely is it that if I buy and replace the
burner with another "made for PC burner," that there will not be any
compatibility problems? I was unable to locate the identical replacement
burner, an LG GDA-4120B, other than as a JVC replacement part which costs
over $230.

Andy Cuffe April 27th 06 11:31 PM

JVC DR-MV1SU VHS/DVD burner.

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:39:53 -0700, "David Farber"
wrote:

This JVC DR-MV1SU combination VHS/DVD burner has been locking up when trying
to burn a disk. The DVD burner itself looks like it came right out of a PC.
It's got the four pin power supply cable and a 40 pin IDE cable going to it.
To make a long story short, how likely is it that if I buy and replace the
burner with another "made for PC burner," that there will not be any
compatibility problems? I was unable to locate the identical replacement
burner, an LG GDA-4120B, other than as a JVC replacement part which costs
over $230.

Replacing player mechanisms seems to be easy. I've never tried to
replace a burner, but something made by the same company is the most
likely to work. You could try installing the bad drive in a PC to get
a better idea of it's capabilities.
Andy Cuffe

David Farber April 28th 06 12:50 AM

JVC DR-MV1SU VHS/DVD burner.

wrote:

[...]

It's certainly worth a try. That would at least tell me whether the
electronics in the main unit are bad or the drive itself is bad.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center