DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   1980's Delco AM/FM/CB no sound (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/153980-1980s-delco-am-fm-cb-no-sound.html)

JGW April 18th 06 11:43 PM

1980's Delco AM/FM/CB no sound

Hello All,
Delco 2700 series, 16006776
Looking for a repair person on these, prefer in Canada.
I have 2 which both power on and LEDs OK. 1 has faint sound at Max Vol and
other none.
I suspect the amps for both. I have the the complete Delco circuit diagram
but I am no expert electronics tech. without tools.
Just have a basic multimeter.

Any contacts appriciated.

Thanks,

John

JGW April 21st 06 01:59 AM

1980's Delco AM/FM/CB no sound

Well since nobody replied I will give an update.

I had disassembled both radio's and discovered the PCB board with the left
and right amps. So tonight I had to use a solder iron and disconnect 2 wires
on each radio so I could swap ot the amps. Tomorrow I will connect to the
car to see if I have made any progress.

Cheers,

John

.. .

JGW April 22nd 06 01:19 AM

1980's Delco AM/FM/CB no sound

Update
After work today I had a chance to hook up my radio and to my surprise I had
sound! Yes Music to my ears. Well not all that good since I only had front
right. The rear is not connected as I bought 4x10 6x9 adapters and have to
hook up some speakers. I am hoping the left side is a loose wiring problem.
The Tape deck is also not functioning and able to accept the tape. My other
radio tape mechanism my work better.

I try tomorrow.

Cheers

"JGW" wrote in message
.. .
Well since nobody replied I will give an update.

I had disassembled both radio's and discovered the PCB board with the left
and right amps. So tonight I had to use a solder iron and disconnect 2
wires on each radio so I could swap ot the amps. Tomorrow I will connect
to the car to see if I have made any progress.

Cheers,

John

.. .

JGW April 22nd 06 11:34 PM

1980's Delco AM/FM/CB no sound

Found the problem, was a wiring issues 2 same colour wires but different in
gauge. now all speakers work, so my plan worked after all when
transplanting the amp/circuit board to the other radio. the tape was
transplanted and is working but still needs an adjustment. The CB radio part
I am not sure if is going to work.
I might need a CB antenna.

Cheers

"JGW" wrote in message
.. .
Update
After work today I had a chance to hook up my radio and to my surprise I
had sound! Yes Music to my ears. Well not all that good since I only had
front right. The rear is not connected as I bought 4x10 6x9 adapters and
have to hook up some speakers. I am hoping the left side is a loose wiring
problem. The Tape deck is also not functioning and able to accept the
tape. My other radio tape mechanism my work better.

I try tomorrow.

Cheers

"JGW" wrote in message
.. .
Well since nobody replied I will give an update.

I had disassembled both radio's and discovered the PCB board with the
left and right amps. So tonight I had to use a solder iron and disconnect
2 wires on each radio so I could swap ot the amps. Tomorrow I will
connect to the car to see if I have made any progress.

Cheers,

John

.. .

Tom MacIntyre April 23rd 06 07:37 PM

1980's Delco AM/FM/CB no sound

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 18:34:22 -0400, "JGW"
wrote:

Found the problem, was a wiring issues 2 same colour wires but different in
gauge. now all speakers work, so my plan worked after all when
transplanting the amp/circuit board to the other radio. the tape was
transplanted and is working but still needs an adjustment. The CB radio part
I am not sure if is going to work.
I might need a CB antenna.

Cheers

Good that you got it repaired, but it's doubtful that the guage was
the issue with a go-no go problem like yoou described. Likely bad
connections, as you mentioned earlier.

Tom

"JGW" wrote in message
. ..
Update
After work today I had a chance to hook up my radio and to my surprise I
had sound! Yes Music to my ears. Well not all that good since I only had
front right. The rear is not connected as I bought 4x10 6x9 adapters and
have to hook up some speakers. I am hoping the left side is a loose wiring
problem. The Tape deck is also not functioning and able to accept the
tape. My other radio tape mechanism my work better.

I try tomorrow.

Cheers

"JGW" wrote in message
.. .
Well since nobody replied I will give an update.

I had disassembled both radio's and discovered the PCB board with the
left and right amps. So tonight I had to use a solder iron and disconnect
2 wires on each radio so I could swap ot the amps. Tomorrow I will
connect to the car to see if I have made any progress.

Cheers,

John

.. .

Michael Kennedy April 27th 06 04:26 PM

1980's Delco AM/FM/CB no sound

Good that you got it repaired, but it's doubtful that the guage was
the issue with a go-no go problem like yoou described. Likely bad
connections, as you mentioned earlier.

Tom

I think he meant there were 2 wires comming out the back of the radio and
they were both the same color, just one was larger than the other.. Like a
illumination wire being grey along with a speaker wire just one was larger..

- Mike