DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   adding a second hard drive to dvr (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/152300-adding-second-hard-drive-dvr.html)

mr j April 6th 06 03:11 PM

adding a second hard drive to dvr

Hello people, I currently run a DVR which records CCTV images around my
home. It has a 250GB HDD but I want to add another 160G via using an
external HDD housing. As my DVR housing only supports one HDD, would
adding another (externally) cause an electrical overload? Mr J

Travis Jordan April 6th 06 03:53 PM

mr j wrote:
Hello people, I currently run a DVR which records CCTV images around
my home. It has a 250GB HDD but I want to add another 160G via using
an external HDD housing. As my DVR housing only supports one HDD,
would adding another (externally) cause an electrical overload?

Maybe. Depends on how the DVR was designed.

Do you know that the software in the DVR will support a second drive?

mr j April 6th 06 04:03 PM

adding a second hard drive to dvr

Hi, the DVR was designed initially only to accept one HDD. As for the
software in the DVR, I have no idea if it will support a second drive
(i'll be perfectly honest with you, I know nothing of the software in
the DVR - I didn't even know there was any!) Mr J

Travis Jordan April 6th 06 09:21 PM

mr j wrote:
Hi, the DVR was designed initially only to accept one HDD. As for the
software in the DVR, I have no idea if it will support a second drive
(i'll be perfectly honest with you, I know nothing of the software in
the DVR - I didn't even know there was any!) Mr J

Is there an internal connector for a second drive? If so, what type
(IDE/ATA, other?). If not, where do you plan on connecting the second
drive?

mr j April 6th 06 10:32 PM

adding a second hard drive to dvr

There is no internal connector for a second drive. I was thinking of
using Y splitters for the two conections necessary and having the
second HDD in a stand alone situation (in a HDD carrier/holder). It's a
rather DIY job but i'm hoping to learn. Mr J

Travis Jordan April 6th 06 10:37 PM

mr j wrote:
There is no internal connector for a second drive. I was thinking of
using Y splitters for the two conections necessary and having the
second HDD in a stand alone situation (in a HDD carrier/holder). It's
a rather DIY job but i'm hoping to learn.

You are way, way over your head j. You need to learn a lot more before
you start hacking away at the DVR and cause it to stop functioning
completely.

By the way, did you have a source for these 'y splitters'? Radio Shack?

Tom MacIntyre April 6th 06 11:00 PM

adding a second hard drive to dvr

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 21:37:25 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

mr j wrote:
There is no internal connector for a second drive. I was thinking of
using Y splitters for the two conections necessary and having the
second HDD in a stand alone situation (in a HDD carrier/holder). It's
a rather DIY job but i'm hoping to learn.

You are way, way over your head j. You need to learn a lot more before
you start hacking away at the DVR and cause it to stop functioning
completely.

By the way, did you have a source for these 'y splitters'? Radio Shack?

I have yet to see a model # and make so that anyone knowledgeable on
this can even do some intelligent research. In the PC world adding a
drive is almost a no-brainer, but here all bets are off.

Tom

mr j April 6th 06 11:26 PM

adding a second hard drive to dvr

I have already changed the HDD from a 160 to a 250 - and yes I switched
it off before I carried this out and then reformatted it. It's just
that DVR's are new to me as such. Cheers anyway. Mr J

Mike Berger April 7th 06 04:22 PM

adding a second hard drive to dvr

This is the first I've heard of this on a DVR. Who was the
manufacturer?

wrote:
Do not forget that some DVRs like the HDTV sets have the tamper
switches on them which will render the unit inoperable if power is
applied with the cover off.

I took one apart that was already on the curbside only to find out that
someone prior to it being thrown out had taken it apart with the power
cord plugged in. The cost to send it off to be "re-coded" by the
manufacture was more than 50% the cost to replace the unit!!!!

Franc Zabkar April 7th 06 09:50 PM

adding a second hard drive to dvr

On 6 Apr 2006 14:32:22 -0700, "mr j" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

There is no internal connector for a second drive. I was thinking of
using Y splitters for the two conections necessary and having the
second HDD in a stand alone situation (in a HDD carrier/holder). It's a
rather DIY job but i'm hoping to learn. Mr J

A "Y-splitter" for IDE???

- Franc Zabkar

Travis Jordan April 7th 06 11:19 PM

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On 6 Apr 2006 14:32:22 -0700, "mr j" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

There is no internal connector for a second drive. I was thinking of
using Y splitters for the two conections necessary and having the
second HDD in a stand alone situation (in a HDD carrier/holder).
It's a rather DIY job but i'm hoping to learn. Mr J

A "Y-splitter" for IDE???

Or maybe SATA. I suggested Radio Shack.

ROFLMAO.

Remove _ for valid address April 8th 06 11:10 PM

In article .com, wrote:
Do not forget that some DVRs like the HDTV sets have the tamper
switches on them which will render the unit inoperable if power is
applied with the cover off.

Do you have a list of manufacturers that do this?
They deserve to be avoided at all costs!

Mike