Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan

Default Relatively pointless question about telephone cords

Here's a real earth shaking inquiry: Over the weekend, my wife & I went
to see the film "Capote". It's about the period over which Truman
Capote wrote his famous book "In Cold Blood", from 1959 to about 1965.
In one early scene (probably about 1962, if not earlier), Capote is
shown using a dial telephone. The camera angle was upward toward the
actor's face, and the cord leading to the receiver is clearly of the
flat, modular "click-in" design. My memory leads me to believe that
such cords came about later, maybe as late as the 1970's. Anyone know
the answer to this trivia?

TIA

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dan wrote:
My memory leads me to believe that
such cords came about later, maybe as late as the 1970's. Anyone know
the answer to this trivia?

Wikipedia is your friend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers..._Ordering_Code

The article says that the modular cords were patented
and came into common use in the mid 70's.

Jerry

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gerard Bok

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 13:10:52 -0800, Dan wrote:

Here's a real earth shaking inquiry: Over the weekend, my wife & I went
to see the film "Capote". It's about the period over which Truman
Capote wrote his famous book "In Cold Blood", from 1959 to about 1965.
In one early scene (probably about 1962, if not earlier), Capote is
shown using a dial telephone. The camera angle was upward toward the
actor's face, and the cord leading to the receiver is clearly of the
flat, modular "click-in" design. My memory leads me to believe that
such cords came about later, maybe as late as the 1970's. Anyone know
the answer to this trivia?

Yes :-)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379725/goofs

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan

Gerard Bok wrote:
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 13:10:52 -0800, Dan wrote:

Here's a real earth shaking inquiry: Over the weekend, my wife & I went
to see the film "Capote". It's about the period over which Truman
Capote wrote his famous book "In Cold Blood", from 1959 to about 1965.
In one early scene (probably about 1962, if not earlier), Capote is
shown using a dial telephone. The camera angle was upward toward the
actor's face, and the cord leading to the receiver is clearly of the
flat, modular "click-in" design. My memory leads me to believe that
such cords came about later, maybe as late as the 1970's. Anyone know
the answer to this trivia?

Yes :-)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379725/goofs

AH-HAH!!! I KNEW I was RIGHT!!!