Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tempus fugit

Default DVD player drawer wont open

Hey all;

I've got a Norcent (!?!) DVD player and the tray wont slide open. When I
hit the open button, it registers on the screen (it says "open" on the TV),
but nothing actually happens - no sounds, no whirring, nothing. I opened the
unit up, took out the deck, to no avail, until the tray actually did slide
open for no apparent reason (which is good because I was able to get the DVD
out). However, the tray is no longer opening again. So......

Is this fixable? It almost seems like this must be a microcontroller kind of
thing rather than something mechanical. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
K `Sleep

Be thankful for whatever amount of time that you got from the thing, and run
out to Wallymart to buy another 19.00 unit.

"tempus fugit" wrote in message
Hey all;

I've got a Norcent (!?!) DVD player and the tray wont slide open. When I
hit the open button, it registers on the screen (it says "open" on the
TV),
but nothing actually happens - no sounds, no whirring, nothing. I opened
the
unit up, took out the deck, to no avail, until the tray actually did slide
open for no apparent reason (which is good because I was able to get the
DVD
out). However, the tray is no longer opening again. So......

Is this fixable? It almost seems like this must be a microcontroller kind
of
thing rather than something mechanical. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
guitarstargazer

it sounds like the load mechanism belt is slipping,
remove it, clean the belt and the "path" it travels in with alcohol
(91%) and a q-tip, re-install the belt, make sure you're not missing
any little "switch" settings, (they're ususally under the tray) they
can hang up a unit also. hope that works, keep me posted, as i'm
learning xbox's and ps2's, and will see this myself a whole bunch.
pray for peace...out...richie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

"tempus fugit" writes:

Thanks Richie;

I don't know about that belt slipping diagnosis. As I said, when I push
eject, NOTHING happens at all - there is no sound, no whirring, no nothing,
even with the unit disassembled so i can see everything.

If the rest of the player is basically working and the drawer also doesn't
open via the remote control, if any, it could be a bad spot on the motor
before you press the button, try rotating the drawer motor 1/4 turn and see
if it then responds.

"guitarstargazer" wrote in message
ups.com...
it sounds like the load mechanism belt is slipping,
remove it, clean the belt and the "path" it travels in with alcohol
(91%) and a q-tip, re-install the belt, make sure you're not missing
any little "switch" settings, (they're ususally under the tray) they
can hang up a unit also. hope that works, keep me posted, as i'm
learning xbox's and ps2's, and will see this myself a whole bunch.
pray for peace...out...richie

Push-open drawer hardware julvr Woodworking 6 September 29th 05 10:37 PM
Help locating drawer slide hardware Joe Bott Woodworking 4 August 25th 05 02:45 PM
drawers leonard Woodworking 11 June 20th 05 05:14 PM
Question about building a drawer Melissa Woodworking 5 January 2nd 04 06:24 PM
CD player problem... scott Electronics Repair 7 October 27th 03 08:46 PM