Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Sam Nickaby

Default Locating high pitch noise from PC power supply.

My computer power supply has been acting strange lately. Whenever
I shut off the PC, the power supply creates a very high pitch, continuous
noise like several Cicadas on steroids. I have tinnitus so I didn't notice
the problem until recently. I'd determined that it came from the power
supply because when I pull the power supply from the motherboard
or shutdown the PC the sound gets louder. I noticed that the power
supply fan was removed when the bearing began to produce a loud
noise a month ago - that could be the problem.What part of the power
supply is capable of producing a very high pitch continuous noise
like a Cicada?

Thanks