DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   the different between monitor& the TV (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/144646-different-between-monitor-tv.html)

[email protected] February 13th 06 06:04 PM

the different between monitor& the TV

hi , friends
I would like to know what I need to used the computer monitor as a
TV.
is it right if I get a TV tuner how I could connect the TV tuner to the
monitor cable

is this possible& easy to do ?

any help plz
yar

Dave Plowman (News) February 13th 06 06:31 PM

the different between monitor& the TV

In article . com,
wrote:
I would like to know what I need to used the computer monitor as a TV.
is it right if I get a TV tuner how I could connect the TV tuner to the
monitor cable

is this possible& easy to do ?

Some computer monitors accept a composite etc video feed.

If not, you'll need a composite/S-Video/RGB to SVGA adaptor which is
rather more than a cable. And of course a TV tuner.

A TV tuner, SVGA adaptor and SVGA monitor is likely to cost more than the
equivalent TV.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

jakdedert February 14th 06 05:43 AM

the different between monitor& the TV

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
I would like to know what I need to used the computer monitor as a TV.
is it right if I get a TV tuner how I could connect the TV tuner to the
monitor cable

is this possible& easy to do ?

Some computer monitors accept a composite etc video feed.

If not, you'll need a composite/S-Video/RGB to SVGA adaptor which is
rather more than a cable. And of course a TV tuner.

A TV tuner, SVGA adaptor and SVGA monitor is likely to cost more than the
equivalent TV.

I just picked up this nifty little unit made by Viewsonic, which does
exactly what the OP wants and more. I got it at a place in Nashville
called Essex Technologies. (They used to be a big Ebay company until
they got caught shilling.)

Anything in Essex' store is a closeout, overrun, salvage or
whatever...not A stock; so possibly is no longer available anywhere else.

The cool thing about it, is that it *is* a TV tuner, accepts composite
S-Video, VGA, RF and stereo audio ins...as well as audio, VGA outs...is
scaleable from 640x480 to 1024x768, comes with a IR remote and was only $50!

It's basically a component video tuner/switcher with VGA (only) out and
'thru'.

To top it off, it's very small...uses OSD for all indicators.

I have it in the bedroom, where I already had a computer, and didn't
want to make room for a TV.

jak

Ray L. Volts February 14th 06 06:23 AM

the different between monitor& the TV

wrote in message
ups.com...
hi , friends
I would like to know what I need to used the computer monitor as a
TV.
is it right if I get a TV tuner how I could connect the TV tuner to the
monitor cable

is this possible& easy to do ?

any help plz
yar

How bout a TV pci card? Software lets you scale the image and place it
anywhere on the desktop, so you can watch TV while working with other
programs. Some cards offer variable transparency, so you can have the TV
running on the desktop with your documents on top of it (or vice-versa). Of
course, you can also view the image fullscreen if you like. These cards are
cheap now and there are lots of different models to choose from. I'm
assuming you have a spare pci slot. If not, you'll obviously have to either
free one up or go with a different option.

James Sweet February 14th 06 07:02 AM

wrote:
hi , friends
I would like to know what I need to used the computer monitor as a
TV.
is it right if I get a TV tuner how I could connect the TV tuner to the
monitor cable

is this possible& easy to do ?

any help plz
yar

You need a scan converter, the computer monitor bottoms out at roughly
double the horizontal scan rate of a TV and it uses RGB video instead of
composite.