Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rkm0

Default Sony KV-20TS27 20 inch TV tuner failure?

I have a Sony KV-20TS27 trinitron TV, made in February 1992. It
displays UHF channels and the composite video fine, but doesn't display
VHF channels. Actually, it seems to display them intermittently;
haven't tested it thoroughly, but it seems that the VHF channels work
when the TV has been running for a while and heated up.

Is this a VHF tuner failure? How can I fix it myself? Perhaps something
as simple as a failed solder joint?

Thanks!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

It's your nickel, keep talking!!!

TV tuners are very difficult and very precise to troubleshoot. You could
remove the tuner, open it, and see if there are any cold solder connections
inside. It is possible that when soldering to some of the circuits, they can
get put out of alignment.

Without the proper equipment, and training, TV tuners are not something you
can easily service. Normally, the tuner is replaced as a module in the TV
set because of cost efficiency. Your tuner should still be available from
any Sony parts dealer.

--

JANA
_____

"rkm0" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Sony KV-20TS27 trinitron TV, made in February 1992. It
displays UHF channels and the composite video fine, but doesn't display
VHF channels. Actually, it seems to display them intermittently;
haven't tested it thoroughly, but it seems that the VHF channels work
when the TV has been running for a while and heated up.

Is this a VHF tuner failure? How can I fix it myself? Perhaps something
as simple as a failed solder joint?

Thanks!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

If you think the tuner is bad and don't have the equipment and experience to
troubleshoot it you can change it, but I would not try to get a new tuner
from Sony. It will be rather expensive. You can likely get a rebuilt one
from Tip Top in Reseda CA for $27 including shipping to you if you return
the dud to them. Add $25 if you don't return the dud. You will need the
Sony number off of the tuner.

Leonard

"JANA" wrote in message
It's your nickel, keep talking!!!

TV tuners are very difficult and very precise to troubleshoot. You could
remove the tuner, open it, and see if there are any cold solder
connections
inside. It is possible that when soldering to some of the circuits, they
can
get put out of alignment.

Without the proper equipment, and training, TV tuners are not something
you
can easily service. Normally, the tuner is replaced as a module in the TV
set because of cost efficiency. Your tuner should still be available from
any Sony parts dealer.

--

JANA
_____

"rkm0" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Sony KV-20TS27 trinitron TV, made in February 1992. It
displays UHF channels and the composite video fine, but doesn't display
VHF channels. Actually, it seems to display them intermittently;
haven't tested it thoroughly, but it seems that the VHF channels work
when the TV has been running for a while and heated up.

Is this a VHF tuner failure? How can I fix it myself? Perhaps something
as simple as a failed solder joint?

Thanks!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark

these tuners usually have bad grounds try squeezing the cover of the
tuner a few times..that can clean the contacts for alittle while
anyway...

Mark

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rkm0

Thanks, guys. I'll try replacing the tuner module as suggested. Sorry
about the multiple copies of the original post -- I was posting through
Google Groups and it went silly on me; I did delete the extra copies,
but not fast enough, apparently.