DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   "Kill" Commercials from B&W Video Transfers (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/142644-kill-commercials-b-w-video-transfers.html)

Brad January 30th 06 09:17 PM

"Kill" Commercials from B&W Video Transfers

Hi,

I have video tape recordings of B&W movies and shows like "I Love Lucy"
which I would like to transfer to DVD without the commercials. Note: I am a
service tech. I am working on an automatic method to pause the DVD recorder
during the color commercials. Years ago, the color burst was omitted during
B&W broadcast (not any more). All these video tapes have color "burst" during
the B&W programs, which makes using a "color killer" (TV or VCR) useless as a
"switching" source. Note: I have spare TVs and VCRs, one of which I would
modify for this purpose.

If you bought a unit or made such a device, please reply with some
details.
Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

James Sweet January 31st 06 03:12 AM

Brad wrote:
Hi,

I have video tape recordings of B&W movies and shows like "I Love Lucy"
which I would like to transfer to DVD without the commercials. Note: I am a
service tech. I am working on an automatic method to pause the DVD recorder
during the color commercials. Years ago, the color burst was omitted during
B&W broadcast (not any more). All these video tapes have color "burst" during
the B&W programs, which makes using a "color killer" (TV or VCR) useless as a
"switching" source. Note: I have spare TVs and VCRs, one of which I would
modify for this purpose.

If you bought a unit or made such a device, please reply with some
details.
Thanks in advance, Brad

Digitize the video on a computer and then cut out the commercials before
you burn it to DVD, it should be real easy.

Mr. Land January 31st 06 04:14 PM

"Kill" Commercials from B&W Video Transfers

Well, I've never actually bought or built one, but I remember seeing
something like this being published in a hobby electronics magazine as
a hobby project years ago....I think it tried to exploit the fact that
some average level of the video or audio signal was usually different
during commercials. I think it may have been designed to mute the
audio during commercials...perhaps it detected a different DC black
level on the video or a change in the amplitude and/or shape of sync
pulses. It's been a long time and I don't even remember the name of
the magazine, but hopefully this is food for thougtht.

Mark January 31st 06 10:12 PM

"Kill" Commercials from B&W Video Transfers

you may be able to detect the lack of color info in the "active"
portion of the video....

inside the vcr this might be easy if it is a "color under" architecture
and the color is processed through a seperate channel in the eVCR
lectronics...

Mark

Asimov February 1st 06 05:04 AM

"Kill" Commercials from B&W Video Transfers

"Mark" bravely wrote to "All" (31 Jan 06 14:12:39)
--- on the heady topic of " "Kill" Commercials from B&W Video Transfers"

Ma From: "Mark"
Ma Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:357023

Ma you may be able to detect the lack of color info in the "active"
Ma portion of the video....

Ma inside the vcr this might be easy if it is a "color under"
Ma architecture and the color is processed through a seperate channel in
Ma the eVCR lectronics...

I came across a Thompson tv that had Commercial Skip written at the
bottom of the front bezel. I suppose it would mute the audio but I
didn't have the original remote to try this out.

A*s*i*m*o*v