DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   static (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/140889-static.html)

frankg January 18th 06 04:48 PM

static

what can I do to get rid of static?

I have a new digital slr that accumulates a terrible amount of dust on the
sensor. I have followed a number of threads on the subject and it seems that
this particular model has a particularly problematic static and dust issue
apparently due to the amount of charge and the size of the sensor. Cleaning
the sensor (there are "special" tools) is also not too successful probably
also due to the dry & heated indoor environment. What would be effective to
reduce the static in the environment ( a steamy bathroom probably isnt good
for the camera :-) and what can I do to the camera ? For those of you old
enough to remember LP records there was a gizmo called a 'zerostat' which
looked like a handgun and a couple of zaps was supposed to gdischarge any
static on the surface.

Frank

--
=========

Charles Schuler January 18th 06 09:15 PM

static

"frankg" wrote in message
. ..
what can I do to get rid of static?

I have a new digital slr that accumulates a terrible amount of dust on the
sensor. I have followed a number of threads on the subject and it seems
that this particular model has a particularly problematic static and dust
issue apparently due to the amount of charge and the size of the sensor.
Cleaning the sensor (there are "special" tools) is also not too successful
probably also due to the dry & heated indoor environment. What would be
effective to reduce the static in the environment ( a steamy bathroom
probably isnt good for the camera :-) and what can I do to the camera ?
For those of you old enough to remember LP records there was a gizmo
called a 'zerostat' which looked like a handgun and a couple of zaps was
supposed to gdischarge any static on the surface.

The charge on the sensor is in the volt range ... hardly enough to cause it
to act as a dust collector.

http://flickr.com/groups/technique/discuss/102010/

All digital SLRs have this problem. Depending on the frequency of lens
changes, user caution, environment, etc.; some folks have more problems than
others.