DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New Printer Won't Print (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/140161-new-printer-wont-print.html)

Ron January 14th 06 08:26 AM

New Printer Won't Print

I just bought a "re-certified"/refurbished HP Laserjet 6P laser
printer, that annoyingly didn't come with a manual. I figured I could
hack a printer, but when I put paper in the bottom front tray and the
orange light by the lightning bolt lights up but the printer does
absolutely nothing, I am at a bit of a loss here. Can anybody tell me
what that top orange light means and do I have a problem I can fix? I
like HP printers and I'd really hate to have to send it back. Thanks.

Ron

JANA January 14th 06 11:40 AM

New Printer Won't Print

Go to the HP site, and see if you can download the user manual. You will
have to search out their site. If you cannot find it, then contact HP
directly to see if you can obtain it somehow.

Start at this web page for HP 6P information:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...Id=135&prod=6p

--

JANA
_____

oups.com...

Don Bowey January 14th 06 04:50 PM

New Printer Won't Print

On 1/14/06 12:26 AM, in article
, "Ron"
wrote:

I just bought a "re-certified"/refurbished HP Laserjet 6P laser
printer, that annoyingly didn't come with a manual. I figured I could
hack a printer, but when I put paper in the bottom front tray and the
orange light by the lightning bolt lights up but the printer does
absolutely nothing, I am at a bit of a loss here. Can anybody tell me
what that top orange light means and do I have a problem I can fix? I
like HP printers and I'd really hate to have to send it back. Thanks.

Ron

Did you install the driver?

Sarah January 14th 06 05:03 PM

New Printer Won't Print

Every HP I owned has the paper feed issue, but you can get a free kit
from HP to correct it. Obviously your paper isn't feeding.

Michael Ware January 14th 06 05:08 PM

New Printer Won't Print

Did you install the driver?

Yes, can you give us more details?
You say 'printer does nothing'. What does the computer do when you print? No
error message like 'printer not detected'?
Sounds like the power light is on. Is there a button that says 'On Line'?
Might be a light next to that. If not lit, press On Line button.

What operating system are you using? Most windows OS's will detect the new
printer IF:

1) cable is connected
2) printer is turned on
3) restart computer

your machine should see it and walk you through the driver load.

Good luck.

Harry Hamilton January 14th 06 05:30 PM

New Printer Won't Print

"Ron" wrote in news:1137227165.895607.150750
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I just bought a "re-certified"/refurbished HP Laserjet 6P laser
printer, that annoyingly didn't come with a manual. I figured I could
hack a printer, but when I put paper in the bottom front tray and the
orange light by the lightning bolt lights up but the printer does
absolutely nothing, I am at a bit of a loss here. Can anybody tell me
what that top orange light means and do I have a problem I can fix? I
like HP printers and I'd really hate to have to send it back. Thanks.

Ron

How is it connected? USB, Parallel?

Allodoxaphobia January 14th 06 06:25 PM

New Printer Won't Print

On 14 Jan 2006 00:26:05 -0800, Ron wrote:
I just bought a "re-certified"/refurbished HP Laserjet 6P laser
printer, that annoyingly didn't come with a manual. I figured I could
hack a printer, but when I put paper in the bottom front tray and the
orange light by the lightning bolt lights up but the printer does
absolutely nothing, I am at a bit of a loss here. Can anybody tell me
what that top orange light means and do I have a problem I can fix? I
like HP printers and I'd really hate to have to send it back. Thanks.

In addition to all the other stuff folks mentioned you failed to supply:
Is there a toner cartridge in it?

Ron January 15th 06 04:10 AM

New Printer Won't Print

Now that's the problem, I think: since I'm not the least bit familiar
with the insides of the 6P and don't have a manual, I'm not 100 per
cent sure that there's a crtridge there. But I suspect I may have to go
and buy one. Thanks.

Ron

Mike January 15th 06 03:44 PM

New Printer Won't Print

In article . com,
Ron wrote:
with the insides of the 6P and don't have a manual, I'm not 100 per
cent sure that there's a crtridge there.

If it's a laser printer and it was shipped with a cartridge in it, you'd
be experiencing the mother of all toner spills ... most lasers come with
a warning that it must kept horizontal at all times, and the cartridge
comes *out* to ship it! Shipping it anywhere with a cartridge in, for
obvious reasons, voids the warranty.

Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/

Jamie January 15th 06 06:58 PM

New Printer Won't Print

Harry Hamilton wrote:

"Ron" wrote in news:1137227165.895607.150750
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I just bought a "re-certified"/refurbished HP Laserjet 6P laser
printer, that annoyingly didn't come with a manual. I figured I could
hack a printer, but when I put paper in the bottom front tray and the
orange light by the lightning bolt lights up but the printer does
absolutely nothing, I am at a bit of a loss here. Can anybody tell me
what that top orange light means and do I have a problem I can fix? I
like HP printers and I'd really hate to have to send it back. Thanks.

Ron

How is it connected? USB, Parallel?

dont know where the orginal post it but here is
a place to get the manuals for the printer.
http://www.landscape.uk.com/monomanuals.htm
just scroll down neart the bottom and the 6P
is there.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

M.Joshi January 15th 06 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie
Harry Hamilton wrote:

[...]

None of those links seem to work?

Try this one, directly from the HP website:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...odTypeId=18972

Ron January 19th 06 08:23 AM

New Printer Won't Print

Thanks for the link, but I was already there. They had service manuals
(and only for the 5P), but no user manual for either the 5P or the 6P.

Ron

Ron January 19th 06 08:33 AM

New Printer Won't Print

You would think for a very popular workhorse printer, somebody would
have the User's Manual in one form or another. You would think, and
you'd be wrong; there's no User's Manual anywhere. Knowing about the
printer language is rather worthless when you can't even figure out how
many trays there are how they are loaded.

Ron