Posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Rob B

Default '94 buick park ave, delco radio stuck in station scan, fix ?

trying to see if anyone is familiar with this problem ?

the original radio (Delco) is stuck in station scan mode ?

yes, scan is off, there is a little SC in display that goes on and off when
you cycle the scan button but radio still scans

Is there a way to disable the scan feature by modifying the pcb board, a
jumper, patch, etc

any suggestions for radio replacement that kinda blends in (basic black
face, green display)

TIA
robb

Posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Richard

My 1st thought is perhaps the button is slightly stuck, but if the
indicator light is out, probably not. A really terrific resource for
electronic problems is sci.electronics.repair. Very helpful group of
informed professionals. If anyone can help, they can.

Rick

Posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Mark

maybe try removing all power from the radio for about 10 minutes so it
completly resets

you probably have ot remove the power connector from the rear.... maybe
there is a hidden reset button like most CPU stuff has

Mark

Posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel

Mark wrote:
maybe try removing all power from the radio for about 10 minutes so it
completly resets

you probably have ot remove the power connector from the rear.... maybe
there is a hidden reset button like most CPU stuff has

Mark

Hi...

Good idea; but first make sure you have the passcode handy!

Ken

Posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
StingRay

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Hi...

Good idea; but first make sure you have the passcode handy!

Ken

*lol* I've been there before Ken! Luckily, after several hours, I
remembered it!

Posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Rob B

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
[snip]

Hi...

Good idea; but first make sure you have the passcode handy!

Ken

hmm... what passcode would that be ?
where do i find that ?
and what would you do with that ?

Posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Rob B

"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 1st thought is perhaps the button is slightly stuck, but if the
indicator light is out, probably not. A really terrific resource for
electronic problems is sci.electronics.repair. Very helpful group of
informed professionals. If anyone can help, they can.

Rick

my thought as well so i was rocking pushing wiggling various buttons to see
if there are any worn or sticky buttons, this car only has 44K on it so very
little service and little radio interaction as well so sticky button would
be my only hope there.

well i cross posted this to sci/elec/repair but it is rather uninteresting
problem i suppose.

Posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair Rob B wrote:
the original radio (Delco) is stuck in station scan mode ?
yes, scan is off, there is a little SC in display that goes on and off
when you cycle the scan button but radio still scans

Will it pick up local stations as it scans, or is it totally "deaf"?
Have you checked the antenna connection? If you're in a metro area, try
running a 4 foot or so piece of solid wire right into the center
conductor of the antenna jack. If the tuner is working, this should be
enough for it to pick up a station.

Did you check all the fuses? This may not be the problem but it's
simple to check. I was surprised at the way the fuses affected the
stock Delco radio in an '89 Corsica. On most older aftermarket radios,
the "ignition" wire was the main power for the radio, and the "battery"
wire just maintained the station memory. If you didn't hook up the
"battery" wire, the radio would work, but would forget all the station
presets when you turned off the ignition key. The Delco in the Chevy
had "ignition" and "battery" power as well, but the "battery" power
seemed to actually run a lot of the digital part of the radio. I
managed to blow the fuse that supplied battery power to the radio, and
when I turned on the key, the tuner was unresponsive and I only got
static. I could make the static louder and softer with the volume
knob, but couldn't tune anything.

Is there a way to disable the scan feature by modifying the pcb board, a
jumper, patch, etc

Maybe the button is sticking, or another button is stuck down. Has the
radio gotten any coffee spilled inside of it? You might be able to
disassemble the radio and clean the button contacts. You might also
take a look at the interconnections between the various circuit boards
(solder joints, plug-in connectors) and resolder or reseat the
connectors.

any suggestions for radio replacement that kinda blends in (basic black
face, green display)

Another Delco from a junkyard. The last time I shopped for an entry-level
car stereo about two years ago, it was hard to find one that didn't have
several square inches of disco lights on the face.

Matt Roberds

Posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Rob B

wrote in message
In sci.electronics.repair Rob B wrote:
the original radio (Delco) is stuck in station scan mode ?
yes, scan is off, there is a little SC in display that goes on and off
when you cycle the scan button but radio still scans

Will it pick up local stations as it scans, or is it totally "deaf"?
Have you checked the antenna connection? If you're in a metro area, try
running a 4 foot or so piece of solid wire right into the center
conductor of the antenna jack. If the tuner is working, this should be
enough for it to pick up a station.

Thanks for reply, radio is still not functioning.

Yes the radio will tune to a station and play it clearly (no static or
distortion) pausing for about 3-5 seconds and then start scanning again
just like it should when in scan mode.

So that is why i say it is stuck in scan mode, it may not be in scan mode
but radio behaves that way. Maybe it is really seek mode problem ?

when one toggles the scan button a little SC indicator toggles on and off so
i assume the button is not stuck and is sending the appropriate signal.

when i press seek mode the radio immediately starts seeking so i can
interrupt the pause of 3-5 seconds by using the seek button so i presume
seek function is working ?

Did you check all the fuses? This may not be the problem but it's
simple to check. I was surprised at the way the fuses affected the
stock Delco radio in an '89 Corsica. On most older aftermarket radios,
the "ignition" wire was the main power for the radio, and the "battery"
wire just maintained the station memory. If you didn't hook up the
"battery" wire, the radio would work, but would forget all the station
presets when you turned off the ignition key. The Delco in the Chevy
had "ignition" and "battery" power as well, but the "battery" power
seemed to actually run a lot of the digital part of the radio. I
managed to blow the fuse that supplied battery power to the radio, and
when I turned on the key, the tuner was unresponsive and I only got
static. I could make the static louder and softer with the volume
knob, but couldn't tune anything.

have not but will check

Is there a way to disable the scan feature by modifying the pcb board, a
jumper, patch, etc

Maybe the button is sticking, or another button is stuck down. Has the
radio gotten any coffee spilled inside of it? You might be able to
disassemble the radio and clean the button contacts. You might also
take a look at the interconnections between the various circuit boards
(solder joints, plug-in connectors) and resolder or reseat the
connectors.

that would be next option but i was hoping some one had this problem and
maybe it is a familiar problem with a known solution

any suggestions for radio replacement that kinda blends in (basic black
face, green display)

Another Delco from a junkyard. The last time I shopped for an entry-level
car stereo about two years ago, it was hard to find one that didn't have
several square inches of disco lights on the face.

same here i have pioneers in other cars with lots of blue flashing lcd stuff
and i really just want something mild, Alpine probably work ? Blaupunkt
used to have lots of basic black faces

Thanks agian
robb

Matt Roberds

Posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Richard

"i have pioneers in other cars with lots of blue flashing lcd stuff
and i really just want something mild, Alpine probably work ?
Blaupunkt
used to have lots of basic black faces"

BTW Robb I've found Crutchfield generally has a pretty good selection
of car audio. There are probably cheaper places but I've found their
service to be quite good. I searched their using your make/model, they
have cd players starting at $99. http://www.crutchfield.com. (I
replied to this thread earlier, NO I don't "work for the" ;-)

Rick