DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Microsoft mouse repair tip (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/132479-microsoft-mouse-repair-tip.html)

Sunny November 23rd 05 04:41 AM

Microsoft mouse repair tip

I have a Microsoft PS2/USB optical mouse I'm partial to, no longer
available at retail, and right click stopped working.

Took it apart, the switch operated normally but the contacts were not
closing. It's tiny and plastic - not repairable. I considered swapping
in the scroll wheel switch, since I wouldn't miss it, but noticed the
board was silk-screened and drilled for a larger rectangular 3-pin
switch as well as for the square 2-pin one currently installed.

I dragged an ancient Microsoft mouse out of the junk bin and desoldered
a 3-pin switch - fits and operates perfectly.

The old switch appears to be of higher quality - maybe I should have
swapped them all while I was there :-)

Sunny

Wes. November 23rd 05 05:47 AM

Microsoft mouse repair tip

Sunny wrote in news:6qSgf.20541$gK4.481732
@news20.bellglobal.com:

I have a Microsoft PS2/USB optical mouse I'm partial to, no longer
available at retail, and right click stopped working.

snip

The old switch appears to be of higher quality - maybe I should have
swapped them all while I was there :-)

Sunny

I find that my LMB goes first, followed by the scroll wheel micro-switch
(lots of Cad work). The Wheel switch tricked me at first as I didn’t know
that double clicking the wheel would "Zoom Extents" untill I found that
panning was not working evey timegrin

Now ever dead mouse in the office gets sent to me for repairs sigh

Wes.

Ron(UK) November 23rd 05 09:02 AM

Microsoft mouse repair tip

Wes. wrote:
Sunny wrote in news:6qSgf.20541$gK4.481732
@news20.bellglobal.com:

I have a Microsoft PS2/USB optical mouse I'm partial to, no longer
available at retail, and right click stopped working.

snip

The old switch appears to be of higher quality - maybe I should have
swapped them all while I was there :-)

Sunny

I find that my LMB goes first, followed by the scroll wheel micro-switch
(lots of Cad work). The Wheel switch tricked me at first as I didn’t know
that double clicking the wheel would "Zoom Extents" untill I found that
panning was not working evey timegrin

Now ever dead mouse in the office gets sent to me for repairs sigh

Wes.

With me, it`s the thin plastic 'hinge' on the left button that always
breaks requiring surgery and hot melt glue. Probably a result of too
much Unreal Tournament in the tea breaks.

Ron

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public address system